Thread: NW ontario opener

NW ontario opener

Cant wait for June 21st!

Anyone know any current water temps? I am hoping the spawn is going on now with the consecutive warm days they have seen up there. That would leave almost 3 weeks to recover. What are your thoughts on spawn?? Kenora has seen 10 days over 70 degrees according to accuweather, which i would think has warmed the water enough to start the spawn.

I was wondering the same thing! Im heading to Minaki on the 21st for a week and was a little concerened with the late Ice-out.

Quote Originally Posted by Leck9 View Post
    I was wondering the same thing! Im heading to Minaki on the 21st for a week and was a little concerened with the late Ice-out.
    Can tell you Great Lakes spawning is just starting now. They have just moved in which is probably about 3 weeks later than normal. We have same opener in Southern Ontario.

I talked to Bill Sandy today, he said low 70's water temps. Most fish have moved up in the shallows over the last week and he thinks things will be good for the opener on the 21st of June. I was up there a couple weeks ago fishing with Bill right after ice out for trout and the water warmed up real fast that first week.

Quote Originally Posted by teamredrhino View Post
    I talked to Bill Sandy today, he said low 70's water temps. Most fish have moved up in the shallows over the last week and he thinks things will be good for the opener on the 21st of June. I was up there a couple weeks ago fishing with Bill right after ice out for trout and the water warmed up real fast that first week.
    Thats awesome news!! Wow over 70 already. It sure would be nice to know they are recovered from spawn and ready to eat. Seems they could be close to summer patterns if the warming trend continues by opener?

What do you guys think they will want come opener?

Smaller bucktails?
    Larger bucktails?
    Smaller Glide/jerks?
    Larger glide/jerks?
    Maybe a top water bite?

I am guessing I will start with a smaller weighted suick and have partner go with a bucktail of his choice to see where we are at. Can NOT Wait for 21st.

EDIT:The MUSKY FEVER has sank in and is in full effect.
    Last edited by mofferman; 06-05-2014 at 09:43 AM.