Thread: Big Nasty versus Slingblade

Big Nasty versus Slingblade

I picked up a new BN this winter. I already own the SB also, I am thinking with the Nasty I may no longer have a use for the Slingblade. It appears they have same action and ratings, so with the Nasty I gained 6". Do you guys have both and use both or is the Slingblade destined to collect dust once you have the Nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoxrox View Post
    I picked up a new BN this winter. I already own the SB also, I am thinking with the Nasty I may no longer have a use for the Slingblade. It appears they have same action and ratings, so with the Nasty I gained 6". Do you guys have both and use both or is the Slingblade destined to collect dust once you have the Nasty.
    I have the Big Nasty and have used the Sling Blade, although i don't own one. There are advantages to both. The Sling Blade, although shorter than the Big Nasty, will throw double 10's farther than the Big Nasty. At the boat side on the figure 8, I feel the Big Nasty gets the nod as being better than the Sling Blade because the Big Nasty doesn't bend as much with the resistance of the blades. I feel I have to work harder doing the figure 8 with the Sling Blade because I have to fight the bend in the rod, if that makes sense. I hope St. Croix comes out with a rod that doesn't have quite as much give at the boat on the figure 8 as the Sling Blade. We'll see. I do think that someday there will be a 9 feet Sling Blade.
    I think you'll find uses for both the rods you have.
    Dave F

I use the BN for most applications preferring the length and ease of figure eights, but yes...the SB is eaiser to toss with big blades, especially into the wind. What you sacrifice on the eight is a worthwhile trade for the easier cast. As you take the SB back you will feel it "load" and release with a far more power. Personally I'd like to see a BN#2 with a similar tip.

First, what Dave and Marty said for blades and eights ... If I'm throwing tens or bigger, it's the BN for me.

Second, I use my SBs a lot with mid-sized bucktails, big minnowbaits and crankbaits, large prop topwaters, and 9-10" Suicks. The SB is the best crankbait rod I've ever used.

If there is a rod that the BN tends to overshadow, it's the 8-6 Big Dawg. The BN has just as much backbone and power, but loads better for casting.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I think when a guy is a certain size of big and tall and ex-football etc., etc., he is maybe not the best guy to comment on the relative difficulty of making a cast. I think if he (on the other hand) is older, shorter, pudgier and in no way showing an athletic background...you should pay attention to what he says as perhaps more apropos. Also, if he suffers from carpal-tunnel...just saying!

So to pair up a couple of reels with these two rods, my two unaccounted for reels are a Revo Toro NACL 60 series in 5.4 and a Calcutta 400D. I probably want the Calcutta on the BN and the Abu on the SB. Would you guys think that is the best pairing? I have a 400TE on my Long Ranger and a NACL 50 series 6.4 on my Lipstick. I am very pleased with the two latter setups and would like to keep those paired the way they are. Just a little unsure as to how to pair up the first two. I don't own a Tranx they just feel to big.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Esoxrox View Post
    So to pair up a couple of reels with these two rods, my two unaccounted for reels are a Revo Toro NACL 60 series in 5.4 and a Calcutta 400D. I probably want the Calcutta on the BN and the Abu on the SB. Would you guys think that is the best pairing? I have a 400TE on my Long Ranger and a NACL 50 series 6.4 on my Lipstick. I am very pleased with the two latter setups and would like to keep those paired the way they are. Just a little unsure as to how to pair up the first two. I don't own a Tranx they just feel to big.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff, I really don't think it matters which reel you pair with which rod since they're both relatively similar in retrieve speed. If you prefer one reel over another (for smoothness or comfort factors, or some other reason), pair it with the rod you think you'll be using the most. And if you find that you would rather try the other reel on one of the rods, what does it take to switch out reels? A couple minutes?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com