Thread: would you ????

would you ????

Scenario: day one of a one week trip on new water.

1. You fish all day catching two average sized fish for the water, that is your only action...no other fish seen.

2. Fish all day, move 10 fish using three different presentations on three different types of structure. No fish caught, no strikes, no boatside action...they all turn off away from the boat.

3 Fish all day, catch one small fish and see two others all on the same pattern.

What would you prefer and why...

#2 as that much action means most of the puzzle is complete. Lure size, sun/moon up or down, and weather front changes shows me where the fish are and confidant that I might get one to bite.

#2! Here's my opinion why:

That many fish moving means thing are happening/about to happen, you are very close to being dialed in. Like Hunts said, I think all it will take is a slight change (wind, clouds, front, moon, sun, etc) and the fish will stop following and start eating.

jeremy

Of the three, I would prefer No. 2. There are lots of fish chasing different baits, and they're holding on different stuff. This provides lots of options to build on. As Hunts and bowhunter say, it's just a matter of figuring out how to make them bite. Once you do, there is a chance for a great week.

No. 1 is a great start. Biters are always good. But the pattern (or patterns ... you didn't say if the fish were caught by one or two different methods from one or two different structures) probably will change during the week and with nothing else going I'd have some nagging doubts.

One thing to consider about scenario No. 1 ... waters exist where there are low numbers of fish, and the ones that are there tend to bite and not follow. These waters can be extremely challenging from a mental aspect because you just keep fishing until one shows up. Patterns are hard to discern. But that's the way they are ... you fish hard, catch a couple every day, and by the end of the week they have added up nicely. The first time I encountered a lake like this, it was our first time there and we had no past history to build on. By week's end we had seen only 23 fish from a multitude of spots, but 11 of those bit and all of the biters ended up in the net.

No. 3 ... again, one pattern. You need to try to find something else. With a small fish being aggressive, the bigger ones may not be.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I'd take scenario #1. Bites give you the most information. Nothing worse than coming home and telling people in 7 days you raised 70 fish... but never got a bite.

You only fished 1 day. Lots can change during the week and you have more time to piece together the puzzle.... or expand on your early success. Moving fish easily with a variety of patterns but no bites (scenario #2) tells me that you COULD have a frustrating trip.... pending why those fish wouldn't commit.

In the end... all 3 scenarios would be awesome... as it meant you got to fish for a week straight. No losers their.

I'll take scenario 1. No matter what I always prefer to catch the most fish or largest fish on any day possible. Follows=failure and catches=victory. On those waters with no follows just keep fishing good spots. As you fish the water more the caught fish will reveal the pattern.

I'll take Scenario #2. You got a 6 days left of fishing and you have found fish and now you just cant let it get to your mind. They will bite on one of the throws, catch the right weather and your golden.

Tough choice between #1 and #2 but I would take #1 as Confucius say; "Two fish in the boat is worth more than ten fish in the lake".

I'm always happy to catch fish, but also like to see them. I guess it depends on the sizes of the fish, etc. I'd rather see a 40 lb fish than catch two 20 lb fish... at least most days!

No. 1 every time. Fish caught easily trumps follows. Especially 2. You can figure out the lake in the next 6 days or next 6 years, etc.

I'd rather catch a 30 incher than see a 30 pounder. Follows don't equal future conversions and not seeing fish doesn't mean they won't strike eventually.