Thread: For you who fish Leech Lake

For you who fish Leech Lake

Ok for those of you who fish Leech Lake i have a few questions. I normally visit Leech in July and i know the lake well, i fish the Grand View Flats mainly. If anyone could give me any other places to hit please let me know.

RE: For you who fish Leech Lake

The Two Points area in Portage Bay. Actually, the whole shoreline in the bay is good and you can fish both the weed edge at the drop off at 15 feet, or go in and mix it up in the cabbage in 8 to 12 feet. Sunny days stay deeeper and on those gloomy days go in. Keep in mind that it is no secret that this is a hot spot. One time I counted over 20 boats musky fishing that area, but I still caught 3 muskies around 20 pounds that day as well seeing a few pigs follow. I haven't been there in 10 years, but I doubt it has changed?

>I haven't been there in
    >10 years, but I doubt it has changed?

Leech is like a different lake from what it was 10 years ago. Massive weedbeds that used to be there are pretty much wiped out in many areas. I haven't been in the Portage area in a number of years. But I've heard from people that have been there in the last couple of years that weeds are hard to come by. Sad deal. One where I hope it's not as bad (as far as the weeds are concerned) as people make it sound.

The July time frame, I would still be looking for weeds where you can find them. Portage and Grand Vu are both worth checking. Sucker Bay would be another good area to check out. All of these are well known areas. But the fish will likely be starting to show up on the rocks as well, especially if you're looking at the middle to end of the month.

Aaron
    For the best prices and quickest shipping visit Musky Tackle Online!
    http://www.muskytackleonline.com

anyone have any spots to hit in early june for the opener? i'm usually there the first week in june, but we usually don't musky fish, were fishing for everything else.

Hiya,

I was out there a year ago and AWH is right...the weeds have been mostly wiped out due to rusty crayfish. My wife and I stopped off in a small sandy area just north of Bear Island after working our way south along the East shore....very very little for weeds, and the area we stopped at had literally thousands of the crayfish shells....it was really a sad thing to say the least.

Steve

I fish Leech every year and have been my entire life. My family has been fishing leech for over 70 years. True the weeds in Portage are not what they used to be however the weeds are still there. Last year my brother put two 50's in the net in less than 12 hours. The fish are still there in numbers as well. Are there several boats out there yes. But do ALL those boats have the weeds marked properly. I know they don't. I've watched them aimlessly throw lures where there are no weeds. If you want to put in the time to find the weeds you can and it will pay off. there are also other places in portage besides two points. I will be there July 17th for two weeks you can contact me @ jamerican523@yahoo.com I will help in any way I can.

As you are well aware Leech Lake is a large body of water. Like Mille Lacs, the bite has been tough in the summer the last couple of seasons. The water is just too cool. I am not a marine biologist but I believe the cool water slows down the metabolism of the fish and they just don't feed as often if the water was warmer.

Leech Lake has experienced some drastic environmental changes over the last few years. The cormorants put a hurt on the forage base and the walleye fishing was very poor. Programs to stock the lake and killing several thousand cormorants a season has improved the walleye and perch populations. Then we have the rusty crayfish problem that wiped out massive lush cabbage beds along with trolling practices of some anglers resulted in destruction of some great fish habitat. Some weeds are coming back and some fish still use the areas to feed, but not like the past. With all this said, anglers have to change their tactics and locations when targeting muskies on Leech. Fall fishing has been very good and the rocks should still be a must on your milk run. When not guiding I continuously search new water and have found fish in areas and locations that I never fished previously. So every day is an adventure, it is like fishing a new lake. Go out and experiment, if you are not finding fish in your old spots you have to move.

Good luck, Murph

Any hot baits anyone can suggest?

10 years ago when there were weeds in Portage Bay my best lure was Mepps Giant Killer with silver blade and black tail. I was told that they like short bucktails there becuase they match the tulibee
    minnows. But, maybe they are gone now too? Other hot lures were Wades Wobbler jerkbaits and the Giant Jackpot. Caught three nice fish in one morning on the Mepps. I had 15 follows on the Wades one morning and caught a pig. The Jackpot worked around evening, but I had just misses on that. I would guess that the double 10's are doing well there these days.