Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple questions from a newbie

Multiple questions from a newbie

I'm a longtime fisherman and have never had the opportunity to musky fish

This mid July we plan on makin a trip to the bemidji mn area to chase these fish for a few days
    (I'm sure there are better times to catch them, but work schedule only allows this)
    We plan on fishing leech lake predominantly for 3-4 days

Here's where it gets vague, a guy can drop a TON of money on equipment to only musky fish for a few days
    (sounds weird but I don't want to hire a guide)

If a guy were gonna buy one rod an 6-8 baits for that time of
    The year what would you long time veterans be buying?

Thanks
    Jake Williams

8'6" to 9' rod...check out the new Shimano models that are great rods on a budget. The reel is a tough one as the cheapies don't hold up ...if you are going to keep fishing for them a Schimano 400D is a great all a rounder and a lifetime investment. And if you quit it's an easy reel to sell....you'll lose just as much on a $140 cheapie and not have the performance when you do use it.

Lures:
    Double Cow Girl
    Smaller Bucktail...something like a Showgirl
    Large Spinnerbait
    Pacemaker, Topraider, Psyco Sister or something along those lines
    8-10" minnow bait...Jake, Custom X etc
    Mag Dawg or Medussa

All of these are reasonable easy to use for a first timer...and are proven winners.

Gonna sound odd but I have a 7'6" heavy action
    St croix mojo musky rod that I use for drift fishing for catfish on the mississippi river

Would that have any place in the boat or should I just buy another rod

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter8905 View Post
    St croix mojo musky rod that I use for drift fishing for catfish on the mississippi river

Certainly the 7-6 would work but your execution will suffer greatly overall.

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Sh...2116p42751.htm

Hard to beat for the $$$
    Last edited by B Turg; 05-11-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Qs from a newbie...

I humbly believe that you are making a mistake by not hiring a guide. Usually, guides have equipment that their clients can use, as well as the correct baits for the area and time of year. If you hire a guide for only the first day of your trip, he can show you the whys, hows and wheres, and you can take it from there. If you then want to continue the musky chase, you can hit one of the many sport shops in the area and buy only what you will need. Musky fishing can be a very expensive disease (it IS a disease!) but there is no feeling any better than that first biggun'!
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckhunter8905 View Post

Keep in mind that we used to use 5 1/2 foot rods for decades, so while a 7 1/2 footer isn't optimum, for a few days use it would certainly suffice. If you do buy another, make it a 9 footer... you've already got a short rod, which some people prefer for jerk baits.

Buckhunter8905

If you are in the Bemidji area have you thought about fishing Bemidji or Plantaganet. Both are close to Bemidji - considerably smaller in size tha Leech and hold large fish. Having only had 3 or 4 days to fish and not wanting to hire a guide you might improve your odds fishing these smaller lakes - they aren't small, but compared to Leech they are. Plus if the weather is bad you might not even be able to get out on Leech unless you have a large boat

rnovak

Quote Originally Posted by BLL_BIGFISH View Post
    Keep in mind that we used to use 5 1/2 foot rods for decades, so while a 7 1/2 footer isn't optimum, for a few days use it would certainly suffice. If you do buy another, make it a 9 footer... you've already got a short rod, which some people prefer for jerk baits.
    Also, I'd recommend a Heavy or Extra Heavy 9 foot rod... noting this varies by manufacturer, with some XH rods being softer than H rods from other manufacturers. I guess I'm saying don't buy a Medium Heavy rod unless it's for topwater, smaller bucktails, etc.

We have actually been taking
    About that. Those two lakes and littlewolf

Buckhunter

Bemidji and Plant offer excellent trophy potential and have a little bit of a stain to them making them better daytime lakes as compared to Cass Lake and Pike Bay, which are also trophy fisheries but due to clear water can be more challenging on sunny days. I have never spent time on little wolf when i'ver had the bigger lakes to choose from. The time of the year you will be up there is also a great time for night fishing, don;t rule that out if you are comfortable on the water after dark.