Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Matching vs. Contrasting Double Blades

You might want to try a light coat of white metal primer as the first coat. I found it helps keep the paint from rubbing or chipping off.

It’s weird, I would have sworn that painted blades weighed more. I think they are harder to reel in, so either I’m imagining that as well, or I wonder if they create more water resistance?

You can also finish with a clear coat lacquer spray after letting the paint dry a few days for a shiny protective finish. But, now maybe I’m going too far?

[QUOTE=Steve Heiting;56430]Okay, apparently I'm wrong here … and not the first time. But the different-weighted blades do wobble differently, and I firmly believe this makes a difference.[/QUOTE

You are exactly correct that different weights vibrate differently but I did have first hand knowledge handling individual blades that told me otherwise with paint. I personally believe in the difference between double and single bladed spinners. With a single blade the rotation is not as balanced and therefore cannot become as harmonic as two equally weighted blades opposing each other. This would cause the vibration to be more erratic, and in my opinion more closely mimic a wounded bait fish. I would imagine this is basically the theory behind the two different or contrasting blades in which you are referring Steve. Contrasting blades does not have to be just color but can be weight, color, hammered, fluted, etc......

Quote Originally Posted by Musky-Mafia View Post
    Contrasting blades does not have to be just color but can be weight, color, hammered, fluted, etc......
    Size, too. Last year I experimented with a No. 10 and No. 12 rigged in tandem. The bait worked fine and caught fish, but I didn't think there was reason for me to build more. I've also experimented with different styles of blades rigged in tandem, another attempt whose success hasn't really caused me to investigate it further.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Another thing to play around with is that you can actually carefully bend the blades slightly inward with your hands (some blades are tougher than others) to make "burners". They come in faster with less pull.