Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matching vs. Contrasting Double Blades

Matching vs. Contrasting Double Blades

I was wondering what you all think about matching vs. contrasting double blades. I have heard that contrasting blades creates a "flutter effect". I have thrown a black blade and a silver blade (a popular combination) and all I see is a gray blur in the water. However, I have had a lot of success with a flo orange and gold blade combo. In contrast, it seems like the guys on tv throw most matching blades.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Matching or contrasting blades each have their moments. From what I've seen, mixing a silver blade with a black blade rarely is better than two silvers or two blacks, but I have experienced a trip or two during which this was the case. On another trip, having a white blade and a chartreuse blade was the ticket -- the spinning blades seemed to blur into a light yellow, but it really mattered.

When I go to contrasting blades, I prefer one metallic and one painted, with the metallic above the painted on the shaft. The painted blade adds color to go with the metallic blade's flash, but it also produces a different vibration because the painted blade is slightly heavier. I've seen several instances when this really made a difference.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I think about this a lot and I basically echo what Steve said. I have made my own twin 10 lures for myself and friends that we have used almost exclusively on our annual trip to LOTW. After many years of experimenting, we have basically learned that you need to experiment. At certain times, contrasting blades are hot. Maybe it is certain light conditions for the day? I have seen subtle things like twin hammered blades with the same color tail way out fish smooth blades and then I have seen the reverse. I have seen double black nickel blades out fish everything one day and then go dead the next. One year Peppermint Patty (white/chart blades with green/white skirt) was on fire and the next year every one of us had one and it went cold. So, back to your question, it is my opinion that since muskies are seeing so many twin 10’s these days, you are better off giving them a different look and contrasting blades is one way to try that. But, maybe it just comes down to finding the combination that is most visible to the muskies under the current light conditions? That is where contrasting blades might give you an advantage as you have two different colors going and one may be the ticket for that day/time?

Steve --- when do you use orange blades ?? ,,, I see alot of Orange bladed/ black tails on the market ----- thanks ----- jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjim View Post
    Steve --- when do you use orange blades ?? ,,, I see alot of Orange bladed/ black tails on the market ----- thanks ----- jim
    Seldom, unless the water is extremely stained or turbid. If I feel the need for a fluorescent color, I have had much better success with chartreuse in most situations.

I almost never use twin orange, instead preferring a black nickel blade over an orange, or a chartreuse blade over an orange blade, or brass over orange.

Now, pink is a whole different animal because in dark water it appears to be a muted shade of orange. I do like twin pink blades at times.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I have to dispute something here Steve. As a lure manufacturer I find that painted blades are the lightest of the group from common blade suppliers.

magnum 10 blades in .025 base metal:

Painted and Gold plated = 12 grams per blade
    Nickel plated = 14 grams per blade
    Copper plated = 16 grams per blade

I buy nickle plated blades and paint the outside of the blade ,, leaving the nickle finish on the inside (cupped) of the blades ------- jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjim View Post
    I buy nickle plated blades and paint the outside of the blade ,, leaving the nickle finish on the inside (cupped) of the blades ------- jim
    what kind of paint?

Quote Originally Posted by Musky-Mafia View Post
    I have to dispute something here Steve. As a lure manufacturer I find that painted blades are the lightest of the group from common blade suppliers.

magnum 10 blades in .025 base metal:

Painted and Gold plated = 12 grams per blade
    Nickel plated = 14 grams per blade
    Copper plated = 16 grams per blade
    Okay, apparently I'm wrong here … and not the first time. But the different-weighted blades do wobble differently, and I firmly believe this makes a difference.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

miket55 ---- Rustoleum spray paint ,,, I put on 3 coats 10 minutes apart and then let dry for two days ---- jim
    -- make sure that you sand paper the outside surface before painting ---