Thread: Weighted Suicks modifacation

Question Weighted Suicks modifacation

Back in about 1990 Jim Linder had a short video on weighting your suicks and moving front eyelet to the top. I tried this mod. on a few of my baits it worked well but the location of the lead and drilling was critical. The mod made the lure go about 7ft down with a up and down and side to side motion. Do any of you remember this mod. or similar mod. I would appreciate your input before I try this mod again. Thanks Guys.

You're talking about drilling a half-inch hole into the body between the painted fins, and then tapping in a half-ounce egg sinker. Cover the hole with epoxy to seal the wood and keep the sinker in place. That was cutting edge 25 years ago and a modification I used on many baits. It still works great if all you want is depth.

Today, I much prefer a screw-in weight system placed in the same location -- you can fish the Suick without weight, or with a 1/4- or 1/2-ounce weight, or larger if you can find it or care to make it yourself. With different weight options, you can take the weight off and dance the Suick through the weeds, yet add weight to gain depth for a different situation.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Is this what you're looking for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suick7.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suick9.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1239

When I want to get my Suicks deeper I use weighted leaders from Stealth tackle, they come in 1/2oz, 3/4oz and 1oz they work great on Bulldawgs also.
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com

Quote Originally Posted by miket55 View Post
    Is this what you're looking for?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suick7.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	1238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	suick9.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	1239
    THANKS MIKET55 for the drawings on the suick mod. It seems to be the on I used years ago . I did also move the front eye to the top and a solid wire leader to give it a more side to side motion. Thanks for the input it easy to waste a good lure with out a plan. Lurenut WWW. CUSTOM MUSKY LURES .COM

Though this has nothing to do with weighting a Suick, don't forget you can also tune your Suick by turning the line tie screw. This can work even better than bending the tail ...
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I use 9" weighted Suicks (BronzePerch color pattern),,, I replace the factory hooks with Mustad 3/0 round-bend short-shank trebles ,,,, adds weight (less bouyant & better hang time) and improves hook-ups ----- lotsafish ----- jim

Quote Originally Posted by Lurenut View Post
    THANKS MIKET55 for the drawings on the suick mod. It seems to be the on I used years ago . I did also move the front eye to the top and a solid wire leader to give it a more side to side motion. Thanks for the input it easy to waste a good lure with out a plan. Lurenut WWW. CUSTOM MUSKY LURES .COM
    I messed up a Suick once messing with the front eye, and put the modification project on hold while I thought things through a little better.. By the time I gave it another thought, the weighted Suicks came out, and now the HI version..

I'll play with the hooks jimjimjim talked about as well as the solid wire leader... I have some 174# wire..

Thanks guys!