Thread: Fishing During the Spawn?

Fishing During the Spawn?

I'm guessing that there will be cases where the fish will still be pre-spawn/spawning when the season opens. Do you think that will be the case? If so, we shouldn't be fishing during that time, right? How can we tell when the fish are done?

Any thoughts?

Brian

If the season is open go fishing. You won't know for sure when the spawn is completed until the water temps are over 65 and it's the first week of June

See if they are smoking a cigerette. Their done! Sorry,
    Couldnt help myself .

I don’t think it would hurt the fishery if that is what you are wondering? They don’t all spawn at once, so you would have pre-spawn, post-spawn and spawn fish all in one lake. It’s not like bass fishing where you pick them off of spawning beds, right? Also, I don’t think they would be interested in a lure if they are spawning?

if you see them spawning ,, leave them alone ---

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjim View Post
    if you see them spawning ,, leave them alone ---
    I agree that they should be left alone if they are spawning. That is the reason the season has a later start. I find more dead muskies on the lake I live on in spring than any other time of the year. Anything that provides additional stress certainly can't help.

As Dave stated, not all muskies spawn at once. Theirs is probably the most drawn-out spawn and some will likely be in spawning areas when the water temp is 50 up to the low 60s. Sometimes I've seen them completely done with spawning and feeding when the temp is in the mid 50s, and sometimes they're still at it when you would think they'd be done and the temp is in the low 60s.

However, feeding is not high on their list of priorities when they're actually spawning, so you probably aren't going to catch spawners anyway. The PMTT has had tremendous bites when the Cave Run qualifier hit pre- or post-spawn conditions, and tough bites when most of the fish are shallow and spawning. With later openers in areas where spawning is successful (northern WI and MN, and throughout Canada) any fish you catch is most likely done and has recovered enough that it's ready to rock.

In other words, if the season is open and you're casting and one strikes, chances are very low that you are impacting the spawn in any way.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

On southern reservoirs, it's a tough call. Many times, fluctuating water levels will interfere with spawning success much more than a fishing trip ever could (well, at least the way I do it!). m

Go fishing. There is no research that shows catch and release fishing impacts spawning success of any fish...muskies included...Snagging one or keeping one does. They will not bite if they are in the act of spawning. Jordan