Thread: Leader Building Material

Leader Building Material

Hi All,

I was wanting to start making my own leaders. I got some 100LB and 130LB fluorocarbon leader material. I was looking on MuskyHunter site to get some sleeves and a crimping tool. My question is how will I know if the sleeves will hold off and not let the leader slip out? Also could I put two sleeves for extra security?
    So far I have been tying it onto the swivels.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
    Thanks

I suggest knots versus sleeves... never had a leader knot fail! Wish I could say the same for crimps! I use ball-bearing swivels with solid rings and either a stay-lok or Owner solid ring on the lure end. I've never had a failure with flouro greater than 90 lb test, but wouldn't recommend lighter flouro unless you use lighter lures. Conversely, if you are throwing heavy baits, you should probably go with heavier flouro, such as 130 lb test or greater.

Your question is something along the lines of which truck is better: a Chevy or a Ford? Everyone has an opinion and everyone is right. Nevertheless, I will bite on the question and offer you my opinion.

I learned a lesson many years ago when she broke my heart. I had a leader made with sleeves come apart. I now tie all of my fluorocarbon leaders and seven strand leaders. I use twists on my single strand wire.

Consider picking up a Dubro nail knotter tool if you want to try tying your leaders. I picked up my tool from Rollie & Helen's many years ago and am very glad that I did. The tool is simple to use and yields an excellent product.

You might want to try using welded rings on the end of leader closest to the fish. You can then use a split ring to attach your lure to the welded ring. Some folks believe this is a more secure method of attachment than snaps. I now make the majority of my leaders this way.

I recycle my ball-bearing swivels, but never recycle snaps in view of the metal fatigue from repeated open and closing.

Good luck this season. Tight lines!!

The only reason I wanted to switch from tying to sleeves is because every time I tie one the leader gets how and it starts to bend even though I use some water to prevent it from heating up. Maybe I am not explaining this correctly but it doesn’t look right even though I never had a problem (knock on wood) with it.

1.3mm Double Barrel Crimp Sleeves will work with either 100 or 130# Fluoro. Just be sure that if you are going to crimp your leaders, you get a quality crimping tool, (like the one pictured in the link) so that you do not over crimp the leaders.
    http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.p...&product_id=86
    Last edited by muskihntr; 03-15-2014 at 12:32 PM.