Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How late will spawn be delayed?

How late will spawn be delayed?

Admittedly no expert on fishery biology...but I am just wondering about Spring when "a young man's (Muskie's) fancy turns to thoughts of love." While the calendar and hours of daylight will clearly say it's Spring, water temps will certainly be skewed. So, I'm asking the better informed among us if it is likely that the season (North and South of Hwy 29) will open week(s) before muskies are doing the "nasty?" It already looks like March First seems like no time to be getting a shanty off the ice....just wonder what other adjustments need to occur???

Junker ---- having negative thoughts about the whole ice-out/water temp/spawning/weed growth scenario this year. I'm no expert, but still having negative thoughts ----- Great question !! ------ jimjimjim

I don't know either, but I have heard that snow cover has an insulating effect. We have had extreme cold combined with extreme snow accumulation. It is possible that both will cancel each other out. Another way of predicting may be ice thickness. So, if anyone out there has knowledge about current vs. previous ice thickness, that would be helpful.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
    I don't know either, but I have heard that snow cover has an insulating effect. We have had extreme cold combined with extreme snow accumulation. It is possible that both will cancel each other out. Another way of predicting may be ice thickness. So, if anyone out there has knowledge about current vs. previous ice thickness, that would be helpful.

Brian
    Snow depth in Vilas/Oneida is 30-36", but I don't have first-hand knowledge of ice depth. Two weeks ago Rob Manthei told me about 20", which is less than you'd think given the extreme cold. It's apparent the snow is doing a good job of insulating the ice.

There is more snow west and north of here. Around Ashland, the snow depth is 40-46" in the woods.

IF IT EVER WARMS UP, I think ice-out will occur sooner than you'd think. There's already a lot of slush on the lakes, and water on top can really melt ice fast. Again, that's IF IT EVER WARMS UP.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Snow depth in Vilas/Oneida is 30-36", but I don't have first-hand knowledge of ice depth. Two weeks ago Rob Manthei told me about 20", which is less than you'd think given the extreme cold. It's apparent the snow is doing a good job of insulating the ice.

There is more snow west and north of here. Around Ashland, the snow depth is 40-46" in the woods.

IF IT EVER WARMS UP, I think ice-out will occur sooner than you'd think. There's already a lot of slush on the lakes, and water on top can really melt ice fast. Again, that's IF IT EVER WARMS UP.

These guys are right, it has everything to do with ice out and the weather there-after. Some of the really big lakes/flowages have more ice than I've seen in many years, while the lakes with little to no snow movement/drift, have less(considerably so).

I'm going to predict that even with the most severe winter on record where I live(central WI), the ice out and spawn will be earlier than they were last year. We have a ton of snow, and if it warms nicely, the runoff will help melt the edges of lakes/entire resevoirs, quickly, and get the fish moving in process. 2013 actually saw a relatively normal winter become excacerbated with all of the snow in late march and extended cold in later April/early May, delaying spawn and ice out in much of the north. Selfishly, I hope it doesn't warm up too quickly and simply runn-off. I like a somewhat later err.. normal, spring. I don't mind rising/somewhat high water levels, that heat slowwwly.

I'm more concerned with the health of some of the wildlife where I hunt than I am fish right now.

How are things looking down south?

It's surprising how some of the milder winters the ice holds on the longest. I think once we get past the "vortex" and normality returns the ice could go pretty fast. I kept track of ice out for alot of years and other than last year, it was usually within 5 days all the time, April 10th to April 15th around the Lakewood/Laona area and probably a week or less later in the Minocqua area I would think.

Here is the Minocqua web cam I go to when it is getting close to ice out and then dream about being on the lake again.

http://www.minocqua.org/minocqua-are...-a-suites.html

Can't wait until the lst 50 degree and sunny day without a 20 mph wind. This is one winter I want to put behind me.

Got a new boat ordered with the I Pilot Link trolling motor and Hummingbird locator with the downscan and I Pilot Link and I am really looking forward to trying it all out.
    Last edited by badgers321; 02-28-2014 at 05:50 PM.

I've been tracking from San Diego, and have to comment this is the most brutal winter I've watched in Woodruff, WI. It got cooler than normal shortly after I left in mid-October, and it seems to just keep being colder than normal into early March, at least.

It's going to take several days of warm (at least 60's, and 70 or higher, ideally) weather and sun, but that can happen a lot quicker than we (or the weather man) suspect... not that I'm predicting it anytime soon.

I think the deep snow likely means it'll be mid-late April for full snow melt and ice-out. (I've heard the ice is thicker than normal, and thinner than normal, but trust Steve's reference to Rob Manthei saying around 20 inches, which isn't that thick... what I'd expect with the insulating snow blanket) I hope it's not like last year where we had ice into the first week of May.

If it does get warm quick I'd rather not be downstream... probably lot's of flooding.

[QUOTE=BLL_BIGFISH;55884]. (I've heard the ice is thicker than normal, and thinner than normal, QUOTE]

Both true. There are places here in Central WI that I'm glad I had to go to my 48" shaft on my Nils auger, while there are lakes in the UP that have less ice than last year. That said we're still making ice here at least for the moment. I had 21 below at 6AM and heard some places hit the record for the year Thursday night which says alot. It felt like a heat wave this morning at minus 1. I do like the March outlook...

According to the weather guys at the Rhinelander TV station, the just-finished "meteorological winter" (Dec-Jan-Feb) was the coldest on record for Rhinelander and second-coldest for Wausau.

The sun in early March is as high in the sky as it is in late September, but it's minus-16 right now out there. Forecast is for 30s by the weekend ... bring it on!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

NE WI cold for a While Yet!!!

Laona Accu-Weather
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	1186