Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on homemade bucktails

Advice on homemade bucktails

I'm about to start making my own bucktails. I just had a few questions.

First, .051 wire is easy enough to find, but at the lake nearest to me I was advised to use slightly smaller lures. I wanted to make a few double #5s, 6s, & 7s. I may not make anything larger than a #8. Unfortunately the holes on the #3 clevises used for #5 & 6 blades is smaller than .051. Is there a wire that will work for sizes 5-8?

Second, what about lure bodies? I will be tying my own bucktails. I know how to tie them with hooks, but how do I do it so that the hook swings free? I found coil bodies designed for this purpose, but only at one place. They are made so that you tie your bucktail around them, and then slide them over the wire. Does anyone know another place to find anything like this, or another way to do it? Also, is there some way to add a keel to keep the lure from spinning?

And for future reference, other than Rollie and Helen's, where do you get large blades? Anything larger than size 8 is tough to find, especially over 10. And how do you feel about blade type? What about uncommon blade styles like In-line, Fluted, Olympic (also Oklahoma, Turtleshell, or Magnum Willow), Royal or Chopper blades?

These and any other tips you may have would be appreciated. Thanks

Lure parts online will be your best source for what you need in smaller amounts. http://lurepartsonline.com A Musky Marabou Mepps uses .038 wire. .051 is not necessary for small lures. Go to lure parts online, click on make you own musky lures and navigate around. Everything you need will be there along with tutorials for different things.

For the wire, you can't beat the price ad selection at lurepartsonline.com.

For everything else give Dick Moore a call, the website is mooreslures.com. He'll be happy to answer your questions.

Contact me via e-mail and I will help you out on the blades (gerryandroz@sbcglobal.net)

Looks like Gerry is helping you on blades, for pretty much everything else, I go with Moore's lures.

For coil bodies, go to fleet farm and the small engine part section. Pick up a brake thottle, take the plastic off on top, and chop them to lengh and you should be good to go.

"For everything else give Dick Moore a call, the website is mooreslures.com. He'll be happy to answer your questions. "

This is the right answer. Moore will steer you straight. He knows and has been doing this for yrs. Call the guy (meaning using the phone) and he will gladly help. Also he has those keel weighted coils with or without the hair. He can answer your question about the clevises as well. If using those smaller blades you may want to look into using the folded ones like on a Mepps bucktails. The spin effortlessly. If you are using smaller blades you can get by with a thinner dia wire. Many use the clevises that they use for 10s on smaller blades and you have to jerk them to get them started. Also the clevis(es) must run on a
    a metal bead or they wont spin well.

Quote Originally Posted by MissouriMark View Post
    I'm about to start making my own bucktails. I just had a few questions.

First, .051 wire is easy enough to find, but at the lake nearest to me I was advised to use slightly smaller lures. I wanted to make a few double #5s, 6s, & 7s. I may not make anything larger than a #8. Unfortunately the holes on the #3 clevises used for #5 & 6 blades is smaller than .051. Is there a wire that will work for sizes 5-8?

Second, what about lure bodies? I will be tying my own bucktails. I know how to tie them with hooks, but how do I do it so that the hook swings free? I found coil bodies designed for this purpose, but only at one place. They are made so that you tie your bucktail around them, and then slide them over the wire. Does anyone know another place to find anything like this, or another way to do it? Also, is there some way to add a keel to keep the lure from spinning?

And for future reference, other than Rollie and Helen's, where do you get large blades? Anything larger than size 8 is tough to find, especially over 10. And how do you feel about blade type? What about uncommon blade styles like In-line, Fluted, Olympic (also Oklahoma, Turtleshell, or Magnum Willow), Royal or Chopper blades?

These and any other tips you may have would be appreciated. Thanks
    I've ordered from Dick Moore before... less expensive than some others I've also used. Don't know about this year, but as I recall, he used to take some time off over the winter, so some order processing was delayed. I'd ask though I'm sure he'll tell you if you call him.

I'd just let Gerry make them for you and be happy with a real good bait! m

Make sure that the bead next to the clevices is solid (not hollow) and is fairly small. A 1/16 to 1/8 inch bead is about right. Also, make sure your clevices are a perfect U shape, not a C or V. These features help the blades spin easily.

If you make your lures "jointed" like a Mepps Musky Marabou, you can get away with thinner wire. If you make them "one piece" like a Cowgirl, then you need .051 or larger. Otherwise, the wire will get bent like a pretzel when a fish eats it.

Brian

Try Lakeland Inc. for a huge selection of blades --- jim