Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: St Croix Legend (need versus want?)

St Croix Legend (need versus want?)

Santa was good to me and I am now able to buy a ST Croix Legend if I want to. The question is do I need to?

I have been throwing 10's with a Premier PM86XHF for the last xx years and to me it has worked well. I like that fact that is is fairly stiff as I believe that takes some of the pain out of figure 8ing 10s as the rod doesn't bend much putting that lateral strain on your rod hand.

I am questioning is which Legend to get if I decide to pull the trigger. I need to stick with a 8'6" because that is as long as I can get in the back of my truck cap which is a requirement from time to time. With that said it looks like I am down to the Sling Blade which is Heavy Action, or the Big Dawg which is Extra Heavy Action.

The other quetion I have is why does St Croix make different length handles on the Priemer versus the Legend? I am concerned this may screw me up when I switch back and forth?

The last question is will I really be gaining something that cost roughly $400 after taxes and shipping?

So for you guys who may have used both if you can guide me toward whcih rod and what I will gain I would appreciate it.

Thanks and Have a good day.

Trust me on this: if you switch to the Legend Tournament series you'll eventually only want to use LT rods and your Premiers will take a backseat. The Premiers are very good rods, they just aren't Legend Tournaments.

The differences?

1. LTs are built with ART, IPC and FRS technology. This stuff really matters. http://stcroixrods.com/why-st-croix/technology/
    2. LTs have SCIV graphite vs. the SCII of the Premiers, meaning a lighter and faster blank.
    3. LTs have tangle-free guides and tip-top.
    4. LTs have a lifetime warranty vs. the 5-year warranty of the Premiers.

Weight is not as much of a factor since the Premier line was redesigned for 2014, but the LTs remain slightly lighter. Both rods lines are made in Park Falls.

Regarding your questions:

1. Whether you should get a Big Dawg or Sling Blade for tens: Lots of guys like the Big Dawg for tens for the figure-8 reason. If you compare the two, you'll find the Sling Blade is more accurate for casting because it loads better with tens than the Big Dawg. The Dawg is a very powerful rod and a wicked fish-fighter, whereas the Sling Blade seems to have more life in the blank. If it matters, I think the Sling Blade is more versatile for throwing other baits (for example, it is the single-best crankbait rod I have ever used). Since the introduction of the 9-foot Big Nasty, I have phased Big Dawgs out of my current lineup, but I still use Sling Blades.
    2. Handle length: Every rod blank is different. It's not a matter of taking the same blank and making it longer or shorter. The idea is to put the reel in the best possible position on the blank for loading up on the cast, and overall balance. Thus, different blanks require different handle lengths.
    3. Whether switching will bother you: Sorry, that's a question only you can answer.

Here's the info for Premiers http://stcroixrods.com/products/fres...remier-casting and Legend Tournaments http://stcroixrods.com/products/fres...-walleye-musky.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thanks Steve

Your answer is kind of what I expected.

It looks like the Big Dawg is what I would want, but I am still not sure spending $400 will get me much more than what I have now. Too bad I didn't just buy that years ago but I guy just never knows.

Thanks

zfish,
    A couple seasons ago, I had all the same questions you're having now. I had a fleet of premier rods that had served me very well and I wasn't sure if switching was going to be worth all the added cost. I'll just say that every rod in my boat is now an LT and the premiers are collecting dust in my garage... I started with one and have replaced all of them with LT's. Once you fish with the Legend rods you'll appreciate all the benefits Steve listed above; lightweight, longer casts, better balance, easier figure 8's, and less fatigue at the end of a long day throwing big baits.
    If you plan to throw mostly #10's, I'd say go with the slingblade, just my personal opinion. It is very versatile for other lures as well but is just perfect for big blades in my opinion. If you really insist on the stiffer blank, the big dawg will work great for you as well. Good luck. Spend the money, you won't regret it!
    Ryan

Steve, do you think a Long Ranger is the wrong choice for big blades? I love my 8' Top n Tail, but want to add one 8'6" LT.

Rick,
    In my opinion, the Long Ranger is a bit flimsy if you plan to throw big blades. It's great for smaller bucktails (8's and even 9's) and topwater but for #10's it just doesn't give you quite enough backbone for making good casts or figure 8's. It'll wear you down throwing 10's. If you want to add an 8'6" rod, I'd get the Slingblade. Good luck!

Rick,

I have both the Sling Blade & the Long Ranger. For throwing big blades you want the SlingBlade. The Long Ranger is a great rod for smaller blades, cranks, twitch baits & top waters. Heck, just do what I did & get both of them! Happy New Year!

Take care.........TC

Thanks for the replies. I have a Premier 8'6" XHVY which looks like the same specs as the LT Big Dawg. I don't like it for double tens as it is too stiff. My 8 ft Top n Tail throws the big blades nicely, but I want a little more length. Looks like the Sling Blade is the way to go. One more question - is the 8'6" HVY Mojo about the same rod as the Sling Blade? Specs look the same. I can get nearly two Mojo's for the price of a Legend Tournament.

Rick W

I too had the same thoughts about the MOJO so I bought one. Like my original post states I too have a 8'6" XH Premier. The handle on the MOJO is a split grip and is 6" longer than the Premier. From the reel seat to the rod tip the MOJO is 6" shorter than the Premier. To me it was like an 8 foot rod compared to my Premier and I was looking for longer actual rod length so I could make larger figure 8s. The longer handle also messed me up during my figure 8 as it would always catch on my cloths. Probably because I have developed a form that I use with the Premier. I think it is a good rod but if you are used to your Premier you may have some issues with it. The actual stiffness of the two rods is very close. But again to me and many others the toughest part about throwing 10s is the figure 8. The stiffer rod eliminates some of the lateral force and definetely makes it easier.

I was lucky and able to take the MOJO back to where I bought it.

For me I am still not sure spending $400 on a LT Sling Blade or Big Dawg is worth it and I am not sure I will gain much? I wish a guy could try them out similar to the way a guy can try out a bow. Just a thought?

Anyway Happy New Year to everyone. It's only 6 months until I will be back on LOTW for 6 weeks.

Z

PS: My post above was based on rods from a few years ago. Looking at the St Croix Web Page after I sent the post it appears St Croix has standardize the length of the (Premier, MOJO, and LT) to 16". It is nice to see they listened to what the guys said a few years ago.

Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by zfish; 12-31-2013 at 07:58 AM.

I think you will find that any of the St Croix staff guys will let you try any rod they have. I personally just love the look on the face when I see a guy toss an LT for the first time. It's like love at first sight.