Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reef Hawg

Reef Hawg

Sorry for this question, but I just bought my first reef hawg the other day and I am having trouble getting it to walk for me. I tried twitching it like a hell hound but it wasn't cooperating. Whats the deal? Any tricks ouy there? Let me know thanks.

Reef Hawg

Sorry for this question, but I just bought my first reef hawg the other day and I am having trouble getting it to walk for me. I tried twitching it like a hell hound but it wasn't cooperating. Whats the deal? Any tricks ouy there? Let me know thanks.

RE: Reef Hawg

It is not the standard walk the dog type of bait, you need to just get comfortable with how it works. They are work a bit different. You will learn some pretty neat tricks with it...It is more of what you can learn to do with it, more than how you work it...Oz

It is not the standard walk the dog type of bait, you need to just get comfortable with how it works. They are work a bit different. You will learn some pretty neat tricks with it...It is more of what you can learn to do with it, more than how you work it...Oz

Oz is right, Reeh Hawgs are all a bit different and you need to play with it to find out how it should be worked. Some I have had better luck after they get wet for a while and seam to get weighted down a bit.

I have over 20 already but If u ever want to make a trade I think we could work something out :)

"Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

Oz is right, Reeh Hawgs are all a bit different and you need to play with it to find out how it should be worked. Some I have had better luck after they get wet for a while and seam to get weighted down a bit.

I have over 20 already but If u ever want to make a trade I think we could work something out :)

"Life is tough, it's tougher when you're stupid." -- John Wayne

A old classic, each has a mind of there own but they catch fish throw it in a bucket of water and put a rock on it the day before you fish it.

A old classic, each has a mind of there own but they catch fish throw it in a bucket of water and put a rock on it the day before you fish it.

A great lure.
    I drive my buddys from Chicago nuts, because I work them almost like a Suick.... Long pulls..... And almost every time they are with me I catch the fish ! Nice and easy... just below the surface..... Great Baits, Walleye and Burnt Orange are my producers.

Jerome

Psalms 118:8

Depends on the size lure too. The smaller ones work better with erratic twitches while the larger ones need a little more of a pull to get them to dance. Just don't expect them to be zombie side to side lures. When they are working they will go up and down too, kind of like a real fish feeding. The more you use them the more you get to feel how each stroke will make the lure respond. Like the other guys said, you learn to work each one. They definitely work easier when they have soaked some water.

I was lucky enough to fish with some guys that really knew how to work them and it is a lot easier to pick up that way than by learning on your own. I use the 8" ones weighted to make them neutral buoyant in fall and slow them down.

One thing that worked well for me was to give them the first jerk at the same instant they hit the water. That way they are scooting off to the side or down like a fish would if it were chasing something or being chased. I've had a few hits before I could even twitch it the second time by doing this. Another thing to try is if you are using a weighted one, give it a real hard rip to drive it down and let it hang for a while before you slowly work it back to the boat.