Thread: Flourocarbon or wire leaders

Flourocarbon or wire leaders

Which do you use and for which applications?

I have been using 7 strand 90# homemade leaders that I have made for the last 20 years and have had zero failures until this past weekend.

I was throwing a magdawg and somehow my NACL 60 was not in free spool, the wire pulled through the crimp and separated. So over the winter I am going to retool my leader selection.

Browsing the Stealth site I see a 175# stainless stranded wire leader. How easy would these kink? I have never used flourocarbon as I am slow to change, but I would if I felt it was best for my needs.

I fish a lot of Vilas/Oneida lakes along with the Wisco river system. I throw a lot of cranks, Slammers, Buchers. A lot of jerk baits, Suicks, Phantoms. I throw some double tens along with some topwaters like Hawg Wobblers, Creeper, Topraiders.

What would you guys recommend, I am not afraid to spend money as long as it is worth it.

Thanks

I think you'll get any wire leader to kink, given the right (or wrong) twist of the fish - or snag! Save the snap if it's still good and tie on another one, they don't cost that much and I've never had a Stealth fail, whether wire or fluoro.

I use the light wire for small jerkbaits, the heavier wire for larger jerks, the short fluoro's for rattlebaits (Rattlin Shad!) and the longer ones for bucktails and crankbaits. You can get a bit more 'sway' in the bait with the fluoros and that's why I likes them. m

The 175# Multi strand will hold up much better than the 90 or a 135# 7 strand from the standpoint of the wire kinking, it is much more flexible. It works great with larger profile baits as well as Vertical Jigging.
    Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by muskihntr; 10-17-2013 at 09:45 AM.

If I am not using my homemade 6 long 129# or 174# single strand wire leaders I am using 130# Flouro leaders. I personally do not like multi-strand wire leaders at all.

If I was to choose between multi-strand or Flouro I would definitely go Flouro. Get some of Stealth's leaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoxrox View Post
    Which do you use and for which applications?

I have been using 7 strand 90# homemade leaders that I have made for the last 20 years and have had zero failures until this past weekend.

I was throwing a magdawg and somehow my NACL 60 was not in free spool, the wire pulled through the crimp and separated. So over the winter I am going to retool my leader selection.

Browsing the Stealth site I see a 175# stainless stranded wire leader. How easy would these kink? I have never used flourocarbon as I am slow to change, but I would if I felt it was best for my needs.

I fish a lot of Vilas/Oneida lakes along with the Wisco river system. I throw a lot of cranks, Slammers, Buchers. A lot of jerk baits, Suicks, Phantoms. I throw some double tens along with some topwaters like Hawg Wobblers, Creeper, Topraiders.

What would you guys recommend, I am not afraid to spend money as long as it is worth it.

Thanks
    I tie and use my own flouro leaders... have had no failures since I quite using crimps. One advantage of single-strand wire is it's smaller diameter, allowing baits to run deeper. I've found that 100 lb test flouro can usually take quite a bit of punishment... catch several fish without damage. Singlestrand wire is often kinked after a single fish, so I cut the wire off and reuse the ball-bearing swivel and often the snap. (snaps do wear out)