Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Green Bay Produces Near 50-Pounder

Quote Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
    and will likely die before they reach their maximum age.
    read that one 3 times and make sense out of it ...

Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    read that one 3 times and make sense out of it ...
    I should have said before reaching the maximum POTENTAL age.

Tony has some very valid points, he has fished Vilas co. For a very long time. I have musky fished Vilas Co. for 38 years or so, I have seen the same stuff Tony has, more fish but smaller. Each year I see less and less for big fish. To date I have not seen a big fish yet this year lots of 20 / 25# but no 35-45# I feel these fish are fewer now than ever. Lakes that used to have Cisco don't anymore. I know it sounds stupid but less fish used to mean bigger fish.

Quote Originally Posted by jigstop View Post
    How about if he wants to remember the day by mounting it and prefers to have a real mount instead of a fake, painted reproduction.

Yeah, lets all do that.... great recipe for disaster
    Can't believe you would even think that.
    Get a camera folks!
    Last edited by lifeisfun; 09-23-2013 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samfox View Post
    Tony has some very valid points, he has fished Vilas co. For a very long time. I have musky fished Vilas Co. for 38 years or so, I have seen the same stuff Tony has, more fish but smaller. Each year I see less and less for big fish. To date I have not seen a big fish yet this year lots of 20 / 25# but no 35-45# I feel these fish are fewer now than ever. Lakes that used to have Cisco don't anymore. I know it sounds stupid but less fish used to mean bigger fish.
    Sounds like jigstop is fishing there, decided to whacked all the large specimens, and stuffed them so he can remember them
    Last edited by lifeisfun; 09-23-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samfox View Post
    Lakes that used to have Cisco don't anymore.
    huh? ... where did you come up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    huh? ... where did you come up with that?
    How bout Big on K, Turtle chain, White Sand and Presque Isle still has some but not many. To answer where did it come from, more fish, less bait or wiped out completely means small, skinner, lighter fish. Just look at the marathon results from the last 30 years. Way more fish killed years before by less fisherman. Now a solid 25 years of C&R and we have smaller fish structure but a lot of them. Since when did a 25# become a trophy, nice fish maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisfun View Post
    Sounds like jigstop is fishing there, decided to whacked all the large specimens, and stuffed them so he can remember them
    Nope the only musky I ever kept was a 43" that inhaled a top water bait so far that it ripped it's kills all up. I spent almost 2 hours standing in the river trying to refive it and it died so I ate it instead of letting it be turtle food. I have no desire to mount any musky but I'm not so high and mighty that I would rip on someone who does. Now if they thump a bunch of them that's a different story.

Thanks for posting that Steve! I love reading and seeing pics of people's success.

The PETA comment is right on. I too am 100% C&R, but I am not about to judge anyone for doing something that is legal to begin with. You "Musky Police" should contact the dnr and complain about the laws. Do something constructive to get some change. I would love to see WI go to 100% C&R, but you can't even post a pic of a successfully released Musky on this board anymore without getting "hate" pm's in your inbox because there was a small walleye net in the backround they assume you used to catch the fish with. Or you didn't hold the fish just perfect in their eyes and insist it died after a good release.

Again Steve! Thanks for the report and keep'em coming...

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyer View Post
    Thanks for posting that Steve! I love reading and seeing pics of people's success.

The PETA comment is right on. I too am 100% C&R, but I am not about to judge anyone for doing something that is legal to begin with. You "Musky Police" should contact the dnr and complain about the laws. Do something constructive to get some change. I would love to see WI go to 100% C&R, but you can't even post a pic of a successfully released Musky on this board anymore without getting "hate" pm's in your inbox because there was a small walleye net in the backround they assume you used to catch the fish with. Or you didn't hold the fish just perfect in their eyes and insist it died after a good release.

Again Steve! Thanks for the report and keep'em coming...
    C'mon the way you did hold that fish was not right, and one would hope you did learn from that experience. We will never know if that fish survived. let's hope from now on they have better chance. it takes big man to admit mistake and lern from it ...