Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Bay Produces Near 50-Pounder

Green Bay Produces Near 50-Pounder

When Ryan Groebner realized the musky he was hooked up with was a giant, he also decided that fighting it wasn’t “fun anymore.”

Groebner, of Plainview, Minnesota, was fishing with his friend, Jay Stephan, of Menasha, Wisconsin, off Long Tail Point in Green Bay on September 7 when he caught a musky that measured 54 3/4 inches. At the time of its catch, the fish pulled a Berkley handheld digital scale down to 50.34 pounds, and four days later it weighed 48.6 pounds on a certified scale.

Groebner and Stephan were trolling over rocky structure in eight to 10 feet of water when the musky grabbed a Spanky bucktail with twin-8 black nickel blades and a black/green/orange skirt.

“It was cool. We had just caught a 42-incher and set back up and maybe five minutes later, probably less, another rod went off. It was solid, and Ryan and I looked at each other and said, ‘Wow!’,” Stephan recalled.

Groebner grabbed the rod. “It stayed deep all the way to the boat. I don’t know how long the fight was, but I got it to the surface and it saw the boat and went crazy,” Groebner said. “I think it jumped three times and tail-danced. I yelled to Jay, ‘This is a 55-incher and this isn’t fun anymore’, and then we got it in the net and started yelling and high-fiving.”

The musky was caught about 3:30 p.m. during a Solunar Major, right before a storm hit the area.

Groebner, 37, who owns Pure Painting of Rochester, Minnesota, also caught a 50 1/2-incher that morning. The 54 3/4-incher topped his previous largest, a 51-incher, from French Lake in Minnesota.

Stephan, who has fished on Green Bay for about 10 years, said “the trolling bite this year has been on fire.” Groebner’s fish is the largest musky he’s seen on the Bay.

Groebner’s musky is being mounted by Minnesota Valley Taxidermy of Burnsville, Minnesota. Taxidermist Jack Kudd took the fish to Von Hanson’s Meats in Savage, Minnesota, on Setember 11 where it was weighed on a certified scale to verify its weight.

http://www.muskyhunter.com/musky-mat...ar-50-pounder/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GB55.jpg 
Views:	954 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	1077  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Last edited by Mr Musky; 09-13-2013 at 02:05 PM.

Here's another giant from Green Bay caught 9/14. 54-incher by Rebecca Avolio of Wonder Lake, IL, fishing with Rubber Hairy Tackle manufacturer Eric Larsen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RAvolio.jpg 
Views:	486 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	1079  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

so the big one was thumped? promoting a dead fish... um ok.
    i think erics was 53.5 at least that's what he posted it was. great fish, at least that one is still swimming.

I'm biting my tongue!

Quote Originally Posted by bnelson View Post
    so the big one was thumped? promoting a dead fish... um ok.
    i think erics was 53.5 at least that's what he posted it was. great fish, at least that one is still swimming.

Musky Hunter is not promoting a dead fish but rather reporting on it. We would much prefer that the fish had been released, but it wasn't. The fact that if it wasn't 50 pounds it was very, very close, makes it newsworthy, so we reported on its catch.

Re: Ms. Avolio's fish, Eric told me the fish was curved on the bump board and 53.5-54 inches, and said he felt it could have been as much as 54.5 but admitted they didn't get a good measurement. I just went with the middle number.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Here's another giant from Green Bay caught 9/14. 54-incher by Rebecca Avolio of Wonder Lake, IL, fishing with Rubber Hairy Tackle manufacturer Eric Larsen.
    Congrats Rebecca!
    Thanks for releasing the fish too!

I can't believe people on here would still bash someone for keeping a 50#er, my god the do gooders on here makes you wonder if this is a PETA site. I'm still debating if I might keep a 40#er if I ever do catch such a fish in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfront View Post
    I can't believe people on here would still bash someone for keeping a 50#er, my god the do gooders on here makes you wonder if this is a PETA site. I'm still debating if I might keep a 40#er if I ever do catch such a fish in my life.
    +1

Did any one read the report? This angler released a few fish that day before he got this 50#er. This guy isn't killing every fish he lands, he got a big one why degrade the guy because he chose to keep it.

The report never said how the fish was hooked, what if the fish took the bait deep and couldn't be revived? Is the ethical thing to do is let it float? Pretend it didn't happen? What would any of you (anyone who judged him because he kept the fish) do if you had a 55" fish dying in your arms? Answer that before you cast stones, because the 9 short paragraphs didnt describe everything that happened. I am sure their is a background story that only his friends and family know, and in that story their are reasons why he kept this fish.

Whether the was releasable or not, why does it matter to any one if it was kept? If it wasn't reported you would have never known about it to begin with. Over 99.99% of the people who have read this would practically have no chance at catching that exact fish, I live over 18 hours away from GB I had no chance at getting that fish.

I am all for C&R, but to chastise another musky angler because they kept a giant fish, the size of which most of us will only dream of is petty.

Congratulations to both anglers in this post who caught big fish from GB. I hope the memories those fish brought will stay with those anglers for many years

Wow,

That is a sow. Great job guys and thanks Musky Hunter for putting this up. I love to see these big fish. As for keeping or releasing this fish. Why would anyone care either way. The fish was legally hooked and captured. So who am I to tell this guy what to do. People need mind their own business. I appreciate the effort that goes into catching a fish like this and far be it from me to comment on the ethics of the angler or the magazine. FAM nice post.
    Last edited by Hunter4; 09-17-2013 at 07:00 PM.