Thread: Mid October Musky Fishing questions

Mid October Musky Fishing questions

Heading up to Vilas County this weekend for 5 days with my Dad to do some fall musky fishing. We fish up there quite a bit during the summer but during fall I am usually on stand bowhunting. I filled my buck tag opening weekend so thought I better experience some musky fishing this time of the year once.

I have zero experience with fall musky fishing so was hoping to get some tips from you guys.

What areas of the lakes should I be focussing on?

What baits are best for fall, I would assume bigger is better?

Is turnover an issue yet and if so how do I deal with it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Definitely use baits like mag/ pounder dawgs, definitely some suckers, big crankbaits like a 9" shallowraider or a jake, cowgirls and even topwaters. I would say try to focus on some river channels if you have any on the lake, try areas with rocks and try to find bait fish along drop-offs. If you find bait fish, youre going to find muskies. if you find bait fish on dropoffs, make sure you cast all around them, on the shallow side of them and the deeper side. I dont know any water temps up there but I wouldn't use topwaters or buck tails of any sorts once water temps drop below 50 degrees.

Some of the lakes around Hayward are starting to turn over right now.

Administrator
    All good advice. Some guys I know are up on Vermillion right now and popped a 53.25 and a 54 the last two days on Weagles, with the 54 being caught in the middle of a bright, sunny day. Not sure what this front over the weekend will do to the fishing, but I'd still definitely toss them around a little.

Can't go wrong with big rubber either or glide baits. One of my favorite patterns in the fall is to fish mag Bulldawgs over the weeds, popping them over with quick pops of the rod to keep the lure above them while still ticking the weeds. Guide Scott Salchi calls it "bunny hopping." It's incredibly effective around any green weeds, though cabbage is usually best.

If you don't find fish in the weeds, move to the drop-offs like MDassow said and try to locate the bait. Start around points and expand from there.

----- cant go wrong with suckers ------ jimjimjim

Thanks guys for the tips. I really appreciate it.