Thread: BASS at Lake St. Clair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BASS at Lake St. Clair

BASS Elites are on St. Clair at the moment. Not sure how to post a link, but a couple of cool pics of the "toothy" kind if you take a look in the photos section under "Day One on St. Clair". During the weigh-ins, several pros commented on catching muskies also. Tom

Forgot to add, go to www.bassmaster.com
    Last edited by TTS; 08-22-2013 at 08:27 PM.

That's a pretty cool event. It's amazing how far some of those guys travel to fish each day. There are guys fishing Erie and Huron as well.

Brandon Palaniuk who won the previous event earlier this month on the St. Lawrence River, ran to Lake Ontario all four days. About 107 miles one way. Ended up fishing for less than two hours a day. And I thought running up to the Narrow was a long run... Tom

I've often posted about the fun of being either a co-angler on the FLW or Marshall on the BASS Elite Series. I will say however, that a lot of the older guys who can afford to take the trips have been beaten down by 50-100 mile runs at 70 plus MPH in a bass boat that almost never has a passenger side console. It can be brutal and freezing cold, and I know several who have found it too tough going. I now bring a full-face motorcycle helmet when I go, but still highly reccomend you see what it's like to fish with these guys.

Administrator
    Junkman, I completely agree. I used to travel to all the tournaments when I was with FLW, and some of those morning runs were brutal. One of the mornings at Table Rock Lake saw temperatures in the low 20s, and we were following a pro who was making a 55-mile run up one of the rivers. By the time we came off pad, we were all too cold to move for at least 10 minutes lol. Still, those tournaments are fun, and I jump at the chance to fish with any of those guys, be it for bass, walleye or musky.

As for the Elite Series event at Lake St. Clair, it's pretty cool to see them hooking into a few muskies. Ironically, every time I've gone up there for either walleye or bass tournaments, it's all my friends who know I'm a musky nut that end up catching muskies. One of them boated a 55-incher out of Green Bay in the middle of a walleye tournament earlier this summer. Caught it on a little Reef Runner.

All those lakes up there are just ridiculous fish factories.

OK Sean, since you brought up cold at Table Rock..I was paired there with Dion Hibdon on a day when we ran through snow to his spot. When we got to his spot and had been fishing for twenty minutes, he said, " Don't take this wrong, but I think I may be a better bass fisherman than you, but you are not having any trouble with your casting and I can't seem to make a cast without a backlash?" I laughed my ass off and told him it was because I was a Wisconsin musky man and he couldn't feel his thumb!" True story!

Administrator
    BAHAHAHA! That's an awesome story Junkman.