Thread: WI DNR News Release on Motor Trolling (last para)

WI DNR News Release on Motor Trolling (last para)

Read last Paragraph

NRB approves putting motor trolling compromise on spring hearing ballot

News Release Published: August 16, 2013 by the Central Office

Contact(s): Mike Staggs, DNR fisheries director, 608-267-0796

MADISON – The state Natural Resources Board has approved placing on the 2014 Spring Fish and Wildlife Hearings a compromise engineered by the Conservation Congress that would allow anglers statewide to use a fishing technique called motor trolling, in which anglers drag a line and bait behind their boat while it is under power by a gas or electric motor. Motor trolling with up to three lines per person is allowed in many areas of Wisconsin but prohibited in many others.

Under the proposal, anglers in 56 counties could troll with up to three lines per angler behind a boat. In the remaining counties, anglers could troll with one line per angler except on those lakes where trolling with three lines is already legal and would remain so.

“DNR will be asking anglers to weigh in on the Conservation Congress compromise next spring,” says Mike Staggs, Wisconsin’s fisheries director. “Because it’s different than what was on the 2013 spring hearings, we want a chance for everyone to get a look at it and tell us what they think.”

Conservation Congress members working with DNR fish biologists developed and adopted the compromise measure at their annual May meeting after a split vote at the April 2013 Spring Fish and Wildlife Hearings on a DNR-proposed trolling rule that would have allowed trolling with three lines on all waters statewide. Voters in a majority of counties approved the DNR proposal but the measure was defeated in the statewide count. The Natural Resources Board initially approved the Conservation Congress compromise proposal in May but decided instead to place it on the 2014 Spring Hearings after hearing concerns that the proposal needed additional public input.

Staggs reminded anglers that with this action, the state’s current trolling regulations will remain in effect for the 2014 season with many waters remaining closed to motor trolling. “We know that some musky anglers would like to troll a sucker or minnow behind their boat while they are using a motor to position the boat for casting. That is still a form of motor trolling and will remain illegal in waters close to trolling.” Anglers should check the current regulations on trolling for the waters they plan to fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    Staggs reminded anglers that with this action, the state’s current trolling regulations will remain in effect for the 2014 season with many waters remaining closed to motor trolling. “We know that some musky anglers would like to troll a sucker or minnow behind their boat while they are using a motor to position the boat for casting. That is still a form of motor trolling and will remain illegal in waters close to trolling.” Anglers should check the current regulations on trolling for the waters they plan to fish.

So is Mr. Staggs ignoring position fishing, or is he of the mind that any movement of a boat to hold in place or slowly work structure with livebait is trolling and not position fishing? If that's not position fishing, what is?

The following was copied from Wisconsin's fishing regs:

Trailing a bait or lure from a boat that is being propelled by motor or sail at the same time casting
    and immediately retrieving another bait or lure is considered motor trolling and
    is not allowed.
    “Backtrolling” is only legal in waters where motor trolling is allowed. “Position fishing”
    is fishing from a boat where the fishing line extends vertically into the water
    while the boat is maneuvered (forwards or backwards) by a motor used to position or
    maintain the position of the boat over underwater structure. Position fishing is allowed
    statewide in all waters.

The life of a Wisconsin livebait user remains confusing ...
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

It seems like such a simple fix for the sucker fishermen in fall, damn politics. If trolling is so damaging with the one line why does Minnesota have any fish left in there lakes at all?

If you had 2 oars in the water while position fishing with a trolling motor, what could they say if they can't prove the trolling motor was running.

I think statewide motor trolling would be great in most lakes. It would mean more methods of fishing and more variety. We catch and release almost everything anyway so "raping the resource" is pretty much moot. However I think some areas and lakes should remain closed to motor trolling. My reason is because I like to rowtroll alot. It's a damn good way to catch a fish. So I believe, and think whatever you want, that at times a row trolling approach is a bit quieter and stealthier and more successful. So therefore, I don't think other boats zipping around with a gas or electric motor in the same area would benefit this sneaky tactic. Not that I think it would be a BIG issue, but it would bother me if that scene unraveled. I don't want to compete with a motor when I'm trying to quietly paddle up a hog. So basically I like the rule and would be glad to see it pass, but let's keep some places off limits.

Steve, I don't see the confusion in how the rule is written now. Probably because I'm willing to row.

The proposal states 'statewide', which means NO waters will be off limits to motor trolling.

I would love to hear the opinions of the guides in northern WI.

If they're looking for a compromise I think one line is fair. Otherwise, they ought to allow the trailing of live bait and but not artificial bait trolling. You sure aren't going to see many people trolling a $10-$15 sucker at 1.6mph -2.5mph with their kicker.

Blair

I remember reading a radio tracking study that said you couldn't get within 100 feet of a big musky with a electric trolling motor, but yet you could row right up on it. Maybe not exact number of feet but you get the idea.

I know that is not the case in Canada but may be on some lakes.
    I believe we unknowingly sabotage our selfs from catching more big fish by using electric trolling motors.
    Last edited by coldfront; 08-22-2013 at 11:53 AM.