Thread: Lake Vermilion

Lake Vermilion

Hello fellow musky hunters just wondering if anybody has any tips/spots for lake Vermilion. It will be a 10 1/2 hr drive and will be fishing for 4-5 days in either late September or early October and would appreciate it if anybody could help me in anyway so I could land my first muskie. I figured that there's gotta be someone on these forums who has fished this lake. What specific depth do they prefer for late September or early October(just remember I'm still new to musky fishing). I have been told that in October the Walleye bulldawg color or a white/silver color lure works the best but didn't know if other colors/lures work any better. Thanks for any suggestions or tips and hope all of you guys have a great day and season.

Walleye bulldog always works well for us in October. Not sure where your staying. We're always at Vermilion Dam Lodge. Ed is one of the best and he has some really good guides out of his resort. Good Luck.

Tim

I think we are going to stay at the shamrock resort and I do believe its right in the middle of the lake. I never fished the lake but have seen some pictures of some giants. The only fishing tips that i had received is to throw bulldawgs out by the reefs, deep weeds ,and deep rocks and to find the schools of baitfish. I just don't know how deep is deep since I'm pretty new to this musky fishing. Oh and if anybody knows any certain bays/reefs work the best would be key. Thank again

Your best bet would be to hire a guide for one day let him show you around where/what/how to fish for musky. If you have never been on this body of water it can be really difficult to fish at any time. That still leves you three days to fish on your own.

X2 On hiring a guide. Vermillion is a big body of water. Must be several hundred islands and reefs. Especially being newer to muskie fishing a guide will advance you a ton in a short period of time. Good luck out there.

Yeah we plan on using a guide for a day. I thought maybe somebody had fished that lake in October and had any tips. My father-in-law and I fish lake of the woods without a guide and catch 28-30 inch walleyes. I can't wait though to fish lake vermilion and get some nice tips and tricks from the guide. Wish me luck to catch my first "ski".

Good luck out there it should be a blast. I've only made it there twice so far and both times were with a guide so I have no tricks or secrets that are mine to share. Sharp hooks and keep on your toes the next cast could be the one!

My understanding is they pull out the bouys by then, you must be very very careful if you're going it alone (ie without an experienced boat pilot). Not my choice for my first muskie trip but good luck, m

I started fishing Vermilion before there was a musky guide on the lake and literally watched the fish grow up. It's a great lake with some absolute monsters in it, though it fishes "small."

Late September to early October, coupled with goofy weather, means you could be fishing anywhere from shallow to deep. And, you could hit turnover. It's hard to predict what you should be doing there 6-7 weeks from now. Anything 55 degrees and above and you can still catch them on bucktails, 58 and above and they'll still grab topwaters. Cooler, however, and you'll want to fish the same spots, only slightly deeper. 50-degree water temp ... watch for whitefish staging off the breaks, though the muskies will still probably be shallower than the whitefish. You probably should take topwaters, tens, gliders, big minnowbaits and big plastics.

Prepare yourself for fishing wind.

Of all the spots on the lake I've always preferred the islands -- points and chunk rock shorelines. They tend to be more consistent than the reefs, but if one reef is holding fish then more usually are. As you approach the reefs, watch your electronics for baitfish because if they're present the muskies usually are, too.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Thank Steve for the info.