Thread: When Life Hnads you Lemons...

When Life Hnads you Lemons...

I have no idea why I thought Sturgeon Bay was going to be cool enough for musky fishing, I just assumed the water was going to be "like 70." It wasn't until the boat was in the water that I saw the number "82.4." I didn't want to go against my eighty degree shut-off (which is why I drove 2 1/2 hours up there) and clearly didn't want to drive home either, and then it hit me--SMALLIES! Well, I just happened to have a spinning rod spooled with 8-lb florocarbon and a box full of green-pumpkin tubes (which I always have cuz I fish the Milwaukee River every day on the way home from work.) Well, this just had to be my PRIME fishing day of the year. I found a spot, worked a hundred yard break back and forth and just slayed them for hours, mostly really angry four-pounders, but several that were six or a bit better. You just never know!

FYI, up in Vilas/Oneida the clear, medium-sized lakes are now in the upper 70's... at the surface anyhow. I was out on Carol the past few days, and catching largemouth bass on small musky surface baits. They seem to be hanging out in the shade during max sun time, but caught a nice fat one about 8:30 last night on a rock bar where I was hoping a musky would be hanging out. Looks like we should see a little cool-down over the weekend, with lows in the 50's or cooler.

I don't know you junkman, but i say "good on you" as they say down under (more accurately, g'don you) Great attitude, stayed true to your principles and were rewarded. Smallies are always fun to catch, i have caught a few on creepers while fishing for musky!

I used to go there every year in the 90's and up until 2003. I finally made it back this last June and what a blast I had catching my second favorite fish. That place is crazy good. They were mostly still spawning and you had to sneak around and finesse them , but I did find a few scattered weed lines where I had one on every cast. The fish are bigger than years ago!