Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WI Trolling

WI Trolling

Last week the Natural Resources Board approved the following compromise on the trolling issue in WI. Starting in 2014, you will be able to motor troll everywhere with one line. In the green colored counties you will be able to troll with 3 lines. In the white counties you will be able to use 1 line. In the white counties with numbers you will be able to use one line, except in select waters where you will be able to use 3 lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	752 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	854  

Wow. I wasn't aware of this decision. I'll take one line trolling in Vilas and Oneida county. However, this decision doesn't help those who cast and trail suckers as the position fishing rule will apply, and that rule is extremely vague.

I am just glad I can troll forward rather than going backwards and having to smell gas fumes all day.

I'll believe it when I see the regulations updated on the WDNR's website...

While you are correct to a point Jim, if one person (such as the guide) isn't casting, then a sucker could be dragged legally even on the one line lakes.

Yes that is true Larry, but I know very few guides who only trail one sucker in the fall in WI. Although now that I think about it if you have 3 anglers in the boat and are trolling 3 sucker lines but casting 3 artificial are you breaking the rule since you are only trolling 3 lines?

The reg is not on the web site because it doesn't go into effect until 2014. The reason it is one line everywhere is to allow each angler to drag "troll" a sucker while also casting and immediately retrieving, which is casting not trolling the second line, which is allowed.

That's why I'll only believe it in 2014. Wisconsin doesn't have the best track record regarding what they say they are going to do and what they actually wind up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    The reg is not on the web site because it doesn't go into effect until 2014.

Johnnie, your second post contradicts your first post: "In the white counties you will be able to use 1 line." If you are "using" one line trolling (dragging a sucker) then wouldn't the second line make it illegal?

All anglers everywhere would still be allowed to use 3 lines (hooks, baits or lures); this rule change would allow you to troll with one of your 3 lines. You would still be allowed to cast and immediately retrieve a bait with one line while "dragging" a second line because the definition of trolling explicitly states that "casting and immediate retrieval is not trolling". Every angler would be legal everywhere "trolling" one line; the green counties and specific waters already open to trolling with 3 lines allow for up to 3 lines per angler (rather than one).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    Yes that is true Larry, but I know very few guides who only trail one sucker in the fall in WI. Although now that I think about it if you have 3 anglers in the boat and are trolling 3 sucker lines but casting 3 artificial are you breaking the rule since you are only trolling 3 lines?

I was thinking the same thing. Sure would clear up some confusion, if we could do just that. The motor will enjoy going in forward, when I decide to drag a blue prism granny around looking for a 56", too(anyone remember that fish?).