Thread: 2013 MHM collectible bait

2013 MHM collectible bait

Woo hoo, a Phantom, nice score guys. I am looking forward to receiving mine already. Are there any pictures available?

Here you go. I like it myself.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collectible Phantom.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	928  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Collectible lures?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    Here you go. I like it myself.
    I am new to the musky hunter and am wondering about the collectible lures mentioned. Sounds interesting. Can you point me in the right direction to begin collecting/receiving these? thanks, John1389

Quote Originally Posted by John1389 View Post
    I am new to the musky hunter and am wondering about the collectible lures mentioned. Sounds interesting. Can you point me in the right direction to begin collecting/receiving these? thanks, John1389
    John,

Steve is the best guy to answer your question. But since he is probably out fishing and I'm stuck at home I will give it a shot as I have been collecting these for a while.

Each year Musky Hunter Magazine produces 500 limited edition lures. They usually sell for about $45. They have gold plated hooks and a special box that is signed by the lure's creator. They are always very cool. I don't know what the current situation is but I had to get on a waiting list for a couple of years before I could get one. Once you're on the list you have first rights every year to buy "your" lure. You usually get a letter in June and have to send in your form by August. It is also promoted in the magazine. For me its something fun to collect without spending a lot of money. Good luck John!

Now I have two questions.

1. Anyone found a really neat way to display these? If so, how about a picture? I have been thinking of building some kind of display case that would show the box and maybe have the lure hanging.

2. If anyone out there is the previous collector of lure 451, I would be interested in past lures!

ps. Nice job on this year's lure as always Steve!
    Last edited by bcmusky451; 06-22-2013 at 07:59 AM.

That's a sweet looking lure. I would like to get on that list, but do not see anything about it in the 2013 June\July magazine.

For those of us that have purchased these lures in the past, we get an invoice in the mail with payment due by the end of July. After that, any lures not spoken for will be available.

Here's how the program works, and has since its inception in 1998:

Every year, in early June, we send a letter to the previous year's buyers announcing the new collectible lure. They have until August 1 to reserve their lure in the number(s) that they purchased the previous year. If they do not respond by August 1, they will all get a courtesy call from our customer service staff ... often it's a matter that the collectors forgot, and occasionally the USPS loses their letter. Some don't want it, and if they don't purchase the new lure they forfeit their number for that year and future years.

In the meantime, the lure is announced in an article and an advertisement in the August/September issue of Musky Hunter, and we commission artist Rodd Umlauf to paint the cover with the collectible lure featured. Rodd also sells gicleť prints of the cover painting (www.umlaufstudio.com, 715-277-4474).

We produce only 500 lures in an attempt to keep the value up, and that's all we will ever produce of any lure. (There are no leftover lures of any edition here at the office. There never are enough available for everyone on the waiting list.)

Each year, about 10% of the collectors drop out, meaning that about 50 lures/numbers will be available. To get on the waiting list for a lure, call 1-800-236-8759. The sooner you call the better, because the waiting list works in a first-come, first-served fashion, and we don't know exactly how many lures will be available.

The lures are all numbered, and they come in a full-color box which will also be numbered, as well as signed by the manufacturer. The lures always have a special paint job and clearcoat finish, and most have glass eyes and (real) gold-plated hooks. In some years the lures have a different type of eye or a different plating on the hook -- some don't have a flat spot for the eye, so the eye has to be painted, and sometimes gold doesn't look right with the color pattern. (This is the case with this year's lure, which will have black-nickel-plated hooks.)

Thank you for your interest. If you want to be on the waiting list, I suggest you call after reading this. The reservations are coming in quickly and the waiting list is building.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com