Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food Chain on LOTW

Food Chain on LOTW

I was wondering if anyone knows about the food chain on LOTW. Do muskies primarily each perch or something else?

Also, what do the prey fish eat, crayfish or something else?

Any info would be appreciated.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
    I was wondering if anyone knows about the food chain on LOTW. Do muskies primarily each perch or something else?

Also, what do the prey fish eat, crayfish or something else?

Any info would be appreciated.

Brian

Thats a good question...I would guess it is a combo of perch, walleye, bass, small pike, small musky, crappie....I don't feel like perch are overly abundant in LOTW, I know my crappie cranks gets smoked there

Quote Originally Posted by Breal31 View Post
    Thats a good question...I would guess it is a combo of perch, walleye, bass, small pike, small musky, crappie....I don't feel like perch are overly abundant in LOTW, I know my crappie cranks gets smoked there
    LOTW also has alot of whitefish and ciscos in all areas.

Suckers are very common in the LOTWs and lots are eaten by muskies.. There are also many perch and bullheads. At certin times of the year tullibees are feed on heavily.

Walleye, crappie, and bass would be a small percentage of their diet.

Doug Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by lelekb View Post
    During the summer I have actually witnessed LOTW muskies eat Cowgirls and H210s, Musky Marabous, TopRaiders, Hellhounds, ShallowRaiders and Shallow Invaders, Suicks and Bull Dawgs. In fall, they show more of a preference for DepthRaiders, Jakes, Slammers and Grandmas.

Regarding "flavors": on the bucktails, go with silver/black, silver/white, silver/blue, brass or copper/red during the day, and add some chartreuse in the evening hours. Topwaters, go with black in low light and chartreuse or white during the day. For crankbaits and Hellhounds, white, perch and walleye colors tend to work. Any color Suick will work but those with an orange belly are preferred. Bull Dawgs ... walleye or black are preferred.

Seriously, I think they eat suckers, tullibees, whitefish, smallmouth bass, perch and bullheads primarily. I throw smallies in there because a shallow-running brown crankbait banged down shallow rocks can be deadly at times, and most "musky" spots are also excellent spots to catch smallmouths.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Heiting View Post
    During the summer I have actually witnessed LOTW muskies eat Cowgirls and H210s, Musky Marabous, TopRaiders, Hellhounds, ShallowRaiders and Shallow Invaders, Suicks and Bull Dawgs. In fall, they show more of a preference for DepthRaiders, Jakes, Slammers and Grandmas.

Regarding "flavors": on the bucktails, go with silver/black, silver/white, silver/blue, brass or copper/red during the day, and add some chartreuse in the evening hours. Topwaters, go with black in low light and chartreuse or white during the day. For crankbaits and Hellhounds, white, perch and walleye colors tend to work. Any color Suick will work but those with an orange belly are preferred. Bull Dawgs ... walleye or black are preferred.

Seriously, I think they eat suckers, tullibees, whitefish, smallmouth bass, perch and bullheads primarily. I throw smallies in there because a shallow-running brown crankbait banged down shallow rocks can be deadly at times, and most "musky" spots are also excellent spots to catch smallmouths.
    interesting...there's bullheads in LOTW Steve or do you just mean in general on most lakes?

also...I was blown away last year by how well Blue/Silver worked in the dark water. Blue doesn't seem to come close to matching other forage to the human eye but man at times they were all over that bait...I don't get it but I'm just gonna keep chucking it ha

Quote Originally Posted by Breal31 View Post
    interesting...there's bullheads in LOTW Steve or do you just mean in general on most lakes?

also...I was blown away last year by how well Blue/Silver worked in the dark water. Blue doesn't seem to come close to matching other forage to the human eye but man at times they were all over that bait...I don't get it but I'm just gonna keep chucking it ha
    Re: bullheads: I've seen many schools of newly-hatched bullheads in the shallows on LOTW. Don't know how many bullheads there are, but if Doug Johnson says there are lots of them, I believe there are lots.

I never knew the importance of bullheads to muskies' diet until the late Peter Haupt pointed it out to me. He said they were "porkchops" to a musky.

Re: blue/silver: Great color during sunny days on LOTW but also other stained waters, such as Vermilion. Can't explain it ... just go with it.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Steve,

Do you think the blue/silver would be good on the chippewa flowage? I have always heard green blades work best there, but sometimes wonder if it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

We stopped off on an island for shore lunch and I saw swarms of little tiny bullheads swimming around the shallow water.

Blue/silver on sunny days, but make sure you never try blue/black.

wow...that's very interesting again about the bullheads, had absolutely no idea. That has to be on the very northern edge of their range, yes?