Thread: Too much rod?

Too much rod?

I have been thinking about getting a TI 7'6 XH rod. I live in the South and where I fish is mostly river fishing so because of where I fish I do not need a longer rod(7'0 would be better.) I haven't really gotten into fishing the really heavy baits, yet. MOst of what I have been throwing and see me throwing in the future will be 6 oz or less. Would this rod be overkill? Just wondering if anyone that has had their hands on one could chime in.

Thanks in advance.

Zeb

I am considering it because there is alot of heavy cover in the river. Logs, etc.

Chevy not needed

Quote Originally Posted by dioze1 View Post
    I am considering it because there is alot of heavy cover in the river. Logs, etc.
    I have a heavy rod and it does not cast lighter lures well at all. Stay with a rod rated for the lures weights you expect to use. I think all musky rods can handle heavy cover as they are all pretty tough as compared to a bass rod.

I can't imagine using a rod less than 8'. The advantages are too great, even in heavy cover.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Rollins View Post
    I can't imagine using a rod less than 8'. The advantages are too great, even in heavy cover.
    Casting room. If you were trying to fish in your living room you would want a shorter rod.
    Last edited by dioze1; 06-09-2013 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dioze1 View Post
    Casting room. If you were trying to fish in your living room you would want a shorter rod.
    As I look in my living room, I do see a big muskie. I'll fish there and skip the river and lakes. Thanks for the tip.

No reason to be anyway. I was just trying to make reference to having limited casting area where I fish. It is not as wide open as a lake and longer rods are awkward and cumbersome for this application and make little sense for where I fish.

Zeb

I recently bought the rod you are considering. I looked at the 7'6" H and thought the tip was a little soft so I picked up the XH. It will be my go-to rod for bucktails and topwaters. So far, so good. Also, you should know that TI will be coming out with a line of 7' rods in about six weeks. I would have purchased the 7' XH if it was available, but didn't want to wait that long. You should contact James at TI if you have specific questions. He was very helpful when I was asking questions this past winter. Good luck.

Don't laugh...I've got a couple of Shakespeare Ugly stiks that I've owned for years and still use. It's their big water casting rods, BWC 1120 in 6' length heavy action. Although I use them primarily for trolling, I do cast with them and have traveled with them in a tube through airports. They have a great acton and aren't awkward or combersome in a small boat. The price is also a plus.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks for the input. I actually have already received the rod and really like it. Shorter would be a little nicer, but it will work fine. Thank you for the heads up on the 7 footers. I will contact James.
    BTW... I like Ugly Stiks.

Thanks!

Zeb