Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First lure out the box for the opener?

First lure out the box for the opener?

Getting to be crunch time for Sat. What will be your first lure on that 1st cast? 9" suick gets my honors. I just can't seem to throw a new lure till maybe the 2nd day. I pitch all my proven fish catching lures day 1, By the rest of the weekend, the new show baits will get a look, but stay dry first day. Good luck to all and be safe, wear your vests.

mr. automatic glider in chocolate water

I will probably throw a glider. Maybe my old beat up 6 inch Reef Hawg or a Phantom soft tail. I will have a twitch bait rigged up like a crane or slammer as well as a smaller bucktail on rod number three.

I haven't heard reports nor have I yet seen any muskies chasing or grabbing hooked walleyes, so my best guess at this point is to go small. The weather forecast for St. Germain calls for 25 degrees tonight (that's NOT a typo, sad to say), 60s Friday, 38 overnight to Saturday, and 60s again Saturday. That will probably drop the H2O temp from high 50s/low 60s to mid 50s by Saturday morning on the mid to smaller lakes. The bigger lakes are low 50s at best right now and may be colder by Saturday.

So, all that considered, a twitched chub or small sucker (6-7") might be the best call Saturday, especially early in the day. Fish slow. As the sun warms things up I would consider a handful of baits: silver/black single Mepps Musky Killer, Bucher Baby ShallowRaider, 7" Slammer Minnow, 7" (or 9") Suick, 6" Hellhound/Phantom/Reef Hawg (pick your favorite), and maybe -- maybe -- toward evening, a Jackpot in the shallowest, warmest water I can find.

On a lake with clearer water, sight-fishing the shallows with a jig/reaper might be outstanding, especially since we aren't forecast to get a lot of wind.

The weeds still look like boiled spinach and have about the same consistency. If you find some bright green stuff, keep fishing it several times throughout the day. Otherwise fish any cover or structure near spawning areas, especially where water enters or exits the lakes. Wood and docks will probably be very important.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Quote Originally Posted by mudhen View Post
    mr. automatic glider in chocolate water
    edit: ... rattle bassin' for smallies, caught a musky smallie fishing so might as well keep at it and enjoy. i bet more muskies will be caught by a jig-n-a-minnow than with a musky bait this weekend.

It may very well be an X-Rap for me, but that is dependant on what lake I finally choose to hit tomorrow morning.

Still gota decide wich lake to hit. Usually start with tails but will probably start with a crank this year.

Big Game 5 inch twitch.

LOL, didn't see a fish the first 3 days of the opener no matter what I threw which was everything in the backle tox. Tues finally scored 2 fish on back to back casts on a suick.

first bait was a Salmo Skinner.......promptly boated a small northern. Later had a 45 inch take a swipe at a Squirrely Jake, but it missed. Twitchin was what I had the acton on.