Thread: French River Newbie

French River Newbie

I am a southerner heading to the French river system just west of Nippising the last week of June. Iam interested if anybody has experiences of tips'tatics that may help my results. Thanks in advance. Hammyal

The french is a tough system but for june start in Satchels Bay its a spwaning area and has a higher density of fish. Hardy Twilight and Marsh bay are also good areas. Find the cabbage and work it. Most of my succes has been with bulldawgs and top waters. If you find a fish don't over work it wait for moon or solar periods. If you have any question pm me

Thanks Keith. I will be staying at Lakair Lodge and those areas seem reachable- a little hike. I will pm you

It's a bigger hike than you think. West Bay itself is 12 miles long. Lakair is at the most eastern portion of West bay and is actually on what is called the West Arm. I would imagine it's a 20 mile or long run to the French River. My advice would be to stay with the West arm and West bay area. There's is plenty of water to cover and the giants are there too. Warren's bay and the narrows north to Maskinonge Island and around it are good.

I agree with cola050. I fished the Upper French River two years ago, and there's a lot of water between it and the West Arm of Nipissing. You can't go wrong with either area, so don't waste fishing time running between the two. You'll need every minute.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Yeah I could imagine that. I am just a little amped up to get there and fish. Any techniques I should be concentrating on for the end of June. Thanks.

I was there in September and muskies were caught ripping Phantom jerkbaits along shorelines, especially where there is any break such as a tree or rock fallen into the water. Bulldawgs also caught muskies. I'd use those techniques in summer too. IMO, the time of year is less important than finding the fish and matching techniques with the weather and water conditions. A guide for your first time there would be money well spent, IMO.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover