Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Revo Toro standard vs HS

Revo Toro standard vs HS

what is your experience with the 5.4:1 vs the 6.4:1?

pros/cons to each?

If you were to buy , which one and why.

Thanks

I am likely to be a dangerous source here...but I got rid of my "middle" retrieve models and now use only the "Winch" and the "High Speed." For (very limited) use of big blades, I like the winch paired with the Sling Blade. For heavy use of blades, I pair the Sling Blade with a "sea" reel. For "big rubber" I use the same split formula between winch and "sea" reel with the Big Dawg rod. For virutally all the rest of my fishing, I use the high speed Revo Toro and my Big Nasty. Just don't see why I don't want the HS reel for when I want the speed. If I want less speed, I just slow down the turn of the reel. If I want less stress on repeated use of heavy to use baits...I go to the manual engage, heavy Saltist 30 Level Wind sea reel. Clearly, the TranX is a great choice here too...but it's another several hundred bucks and I feel a little better with the manual engage mechanism. Obviously, I've had to pay to rebuild reels where the handle has "gone over" and turned the gears to scrap metal. Fortunately, I make money on the scrap metal.

I also prefer the hs and I use it for everything up to double 8s. Love the speed when picking up slack or when a fish rushes the boat. Plus more often than not I'm using the speed to trigger fish.

i'd always been an "anti" on abu's, until receiving enough credible reports on these reels. the fact they come with paddles and power-handles makes them an attractive buy. i'd agree with what's said up-top .. the 6.4 for high-speed would be my choice/recommendation. i bought one and looking forward to using it.

I would mirror what's been said here so far. I use all three Revo models, and was originally disappointed when Abu discontinued the 5.4:1 model a year or two ago. I found, however, that I actually prefer the HS 6.4:1 reel for most applications (except big blades). As junkman said, if you want a slower moving lure using the HS, just slow down your retrieve speed. You then have the high gear ratio for when you really want speed. I use the HS for smaller bucktails, topwater, jerkbaits, big rubber, just about everything but big blades, and control the lure speed by adjusting my retrieve accordingly. This year Abu reintroduced the 5.4:1 Revo in the NaCl line, which should work great if you decide you want to go middle of the road on gear ratio. I don't think you will be disappointed regardless which reel you choose. I just prefer the 6.4:1 HS.
    Also, there was a guy selling a new Revo 6.4:1HS I believe in the swap meet section of this site, may want to check there and see if it's still available if you decide that's what you want to go with.
    Best of luck,
    Ryan

It is very easy to change the gears out. I took out my 4.6 gears and put in 5.4 on my winch. Now I have both a 5.4 and a 6.4

I would not use the HS (6.4:1) reel for large blades or anything that has a big lip. I've got two, and love them for burning small bladed bucktails, small-medium-sized crankbaits and for jerk baits.

I like the 5.4:1 for larger crankbaits with bigger lips, bucktails and spinnerbaits with larger blades, etc.

I've never used the Winch, but have friends who like them. Seems to me they are cranking very fast to achieve a moderate speed retrieve that I more easily achieve with my 5.4:1 reels.

I can imagine the Winch being good for working creepers, etc, and baits that pull very hard, where you need the lower gears.
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 04-24-2013 at 09:57 AM. Reason: fix errors

A lot depends on how you fish. If you are a weekend angler or a guy who only fishes 3 hours in the morning or 3 hours at night during the prime time it may not matter that much. Most people can put in the extra effort for a short period of time to crank faster with a winch to get the speed you need. Also most guys can suck it up for 3 hours and cranks harder on a HS that doesn't have the power for 3 hours without getting sore.

But for others like me that spend 5 weeks on LOTW fishing 12 to 14 hours day after day you can really tell how each reel afftects you. This is the reason many guys like me have one of each, so you can use the reel that matches the bait and conditions you are fishing.

So for most guys the 5.4 will be a good choice.

But I still need to save $400 for the Tranx.

Quote Originally Posted by zfish View Post
    A lot depends on how you fish. If you are a weekend angler or a guy who only fishes 3 hours in the morning or 3 hours at night during.....

But I still need to save $400 for the Tranx.
    I have it saved but Shimano refuses to sell me lefty

You guys have me rethinking gear ratio. I was about to buy the Revo NACL 5.4.1 as my local store stocks them. But now I wonder if the 6.4.1 might be better as a first Musky reel. I figure to throw a lot of 7 and 9 inch suicks along or standard bucktails. Slowing the retrieve down for lighter crank baits may be the way to go.

Mudhen - Have you gotten your new 6.4.1 out yet? You happy with it? Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by BLL_BIGFISH View Post
    I would not use the HS (6.4:1) reel for large blades or anything that has a big lip. I've got two, and love them for burning small bladed bucktails, small-medium-sized crankbaits and for jerk baits.

I like the 5.4:1 for larger crankbaits with bigger lips, bucktails and spinnerbaits with larger blades, etc.

I've never used the Winch, but have friends who like them. Seems to me they are cranking very fast to achieve a moderate speed retrieve that I more easily achieve with my 5.4:1 reels.

I can imagine the Winch being good for working creepers, etc, and baits that pull very hard, where you need the lower gears.