Thread: new reel

new reel

Well with the up coming season right around the corner i have been looking at picking up a new rod and reel. I have been fish muskys for 2 years or so (still new to the game) for the first year i used a Abu C4 and last summer i picked up a Calcutta 400 B witch i love compared to the C4! I have thought maybe a Toro Winch would be a good choice?

Just looking for some input and any thing would be awesome!

Thanks!

I don't own top of the line equipment, but I am real happy with my Revo Toro and a Mojo Musky rod from St. Croix. I get out maybe 15 times a year and the equipment has served me well. Total cost would be $350 for both. If the above lasts me 10 years I figure it only costs me $35 a year to own or a little over $2 each time I fish, the reel alone is so much better that it makes it worth the total cost. I was running Abu C3's before the Revo Toro, now it's actually a pleasure to cast and retrieve. Also I went to longer rods (8 ft) and that made a big difference as well when fishing and doing figure 8's and having less back aches. Now St. Croix has added a 8'6" Musky Mojo if you wanted a longer than 8 foot rod. I think the Mojo's are a pretty nice stick for $150.

I do a fair share of fishing if im off work Friday im out from Friday-Sunday and a little during the week. I have a 8ft tooth tamer rod with the Calcutta B and absolutely love it. I would just like to put another set up in the boat but would like to try a different reel. Thanks for the input!

The Revo is a heck of a reel, I liked them so much I bought another after I had bought the first one.

Trev,
    I sent you a PM.
    Ryan

In the past few seasons I've used everything and some have been good some bad. I need my stuff to work everytime so if it isn't a shimano reel I no longer use it. I fish over 100 days a year with clients and only one shimano reel in 6 years has broken. I sent it in for repaires and had it back in less then 2 weeks with only a $25 repair bill. Curado's are good for the price but if you want high end go with a Calcutta LJV it'll blow the B away, or the tranx is even a little better. ( only a little )