Thread: Skunk!

Skunk!

I got my skunk out of the boat this year with 4 smallish muskies today. How do you guys think larger fish relate location wise to smaller musky? Has your experience been they likely to share roughly the same locations or do bigger musky occupy different haunts than smaller fish?

Now that I think of it, my PB came from the same 'complex' as my PW. PB was suspendo over abyss off of the point, PW in shallow weeds up on the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jalwine View Post
    I got my skunk out of the boat this year with 4 smallish muskies today. How do you guys think larger fish relate location wise to smaller musky? Has your experience been they likely to share roughly the same locations or do bigger musky occupy different haunts than smaller fish?
    First, congrats on the muskies. That's cool to get on the board already this year.

Re: location, big and small muskies often use the same spots at the same time. If this is the case, the big fish will usually be using the spot-on-the-spot and smaller fish will be on secondary stuff. (One week while on LOTW, I caught 49- and 45-inchers off the secondary stuff of a point. Never saw a fish on the primary spot ... so, just WHAT had taken up residence? That still haunts me.) If a small musky is using the spot-on-the-spot, there probably isn't a big fish around at the time.

Proximity to deep water and other structure are usually the determining factors of whether a spot holds big fish. If deep water and other spots are nearby, the spot probably will hold big fish at some point. However, spots that don't have deep water in relative proximity or are isolated usually are small fish spots.

And Squad, what's a PW? Personal worst? If so, I've got lots of those and no way I can keep track of them.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Administrator
    I agree with everything Steve that the bigger fish are usually on the spot-on-the-spot and related to deeper water.

But say you're fishing a giant wed flat, sometimes I've also seen where the bigger fish may be a little shallower or a little deeper than the smaller fish, if for no other particular reason than depth. Obviously, there is a reason the bigger fish may be farther into the weeds than the smaller fish, or vice versa, such as where a particular baitfish is located at a given time. The main thing is, if you're catching fish you're obviously on the right track. Try using your electronics to really refine the best spots in a given pattern, or make subtle changes like moving in shallower or deeper, increasing or decreasing lure sizes, etc to then target bigger fish.

Thanks for the insight Steve and Sean. That’s the exact situation with this lake. It’s a giant weed flat. I caught the smaller fish fairly shallow. I had some nice follows out deeper but could not convert. They seemed very boat shy. I need to spend more time exploring to find the “spot on the spot.” I don’t think the musky are widely distributed in the lake so the good news is I at least found the basic spot.

Administrator
    Jalwine, glad we could help. You've already figured out the hard part, which was finding and catching a few muskies. If you had a couple better follows deeper, next time you're out try the same pattern with little tweaks. Maybe a different color or size lure, a faster or slower retrieve, etc. Sooner or later you'll find the right combination. Good luck!