Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Moon Myths

For those that believe the moon does have an affect on muskies, what do you think is the connection? Gravity? Light? Position of the moon? Any theories what it is about the moon that makes the fish react positively?

I couldn't really answer that. More than the moon, I try to get out whenever the barometer is falling. My best guess is that the gravitational pull of the moon has a similar effect to decreasing atmospheric pressure, but maybe to a lesser extent.

It doesn't haven't anything with water or what happens in the water during moon rise or set, because it affects creatures on land as well. I don't believe it has anything to do with light either because it works in sunny conditions as well as cloudy conditions and after dark as well. Gravity, well I have no idea because I don't think any living organism can "feel" gravity.

It's kind of like why does peanut butter taste good on a burger, it shouldn't but it does. It's something that I can't explain, nor do I care to explain. I'm just willing to go with it.

StormyK

This is a terrific thread. Jalwine - thanks for putting this together. I certainly will take away some valuable information from your analysis. I also will assign an appropriate weight to your analysis (which will be far above anyone's anecdotal experiences).

Unfortunately, you are likely going to continue to take grief on this one. The view is entrenched, and there is certainly no shortage of belief w/out proof (faith) in the world.

Another way to follow stats with respect to moon stuff would be actual crimes of passion stats from law enforcement data. It's not just the fish who are affected. My Missus actually hides behind locked doors when the setting moon is within 3-5 minutes of a rising sun! I just sort of need to bite something. Joking aside however, I bet there are real stats on humans doing odd stuff!

Jalwine - great thread- very thought provoking. Got me to do some quick research of my own. Here's a summary I found on what the scientific community says about environmental factors affecting acquatic life behaviors.

" Nature is Full of Rhythmic Changes. The environment in which we live changes from day to day, season to season, and, perhaps, from year to year in a rhythmic manner that is more or less predictable. The behaviour and abundance of animals often reflect these rhythmic changes in the environment; in fact, cycles in nature are universal in occurrence and of profound importance.

Cyclic changes in the earth's environment are induced primarily by the sun, e.g., the short-term variations in light, temperature, and humidity in the solar daily cycle, or long-term flux in these variables in the longer-term annual solar cycle. These changes profoundly modify the lives of organisms, and we find that animal behavioural patterns are highly adapted to avoiding harmful parts of the environmental cycles and utilising beneficial parts.

Although we naturally think first of the sun as responsible for changes in the earth's environment, the moon also has important effects, and information collected about many organisms indicates that certain parts of their activities recur at regular periods related to parts of the lunar cycle. In this general review the reader is introduced to some of the wide variety of animal responses to lunar-related environmental cycles, mostly in the sea."

This summary - although not conclusive - taken with anecdotal evidence like Jim described makes a very compelling case that fish have evolved to react to lunar activity.
    Here's the rest of the report:
    http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/schol...1-body-d5.html

Tim

Tim, I think the key there is "The Sea." There is lots of evidence various ocean species have close ties to the lunar cycle. This is because of tides. That's why I put the bit on tides in my post. The problem is lakes don't have tides, which is why I struggle with lunar ties to freshwater fish. I'm not much of a hunter so I can't comment on land animal movements.

http://sciencebasedlife.wordpress.co...-moon-fallacy/
    Last edited by Jalwine; 03-16-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Absolutely-and frankly, I'm not totally convinced either way. However, the compelling point for me was the conclusion about the force of evolutionary development. As ancient organisms migrated from the seas to land and inland waters (up rivers, etc), beneficial genetic adaptations developed and were passed along- such as the lateral line's ability to detect changes in pressure for example. Science has yet to confirm or deny if the marginal tidal/gravitational impact on freshwater species actually triggers a chemical or hormonal reaction in predatory fish, however, the presence of cyclical behavior that correlates to lunar and solar phases has been demonstrated pretty clearly. If Darwin knew anything, it stands to reason this applies to some degree to freshwater species as well.

Tim, good thoughts for sure. I think if the data had shown a definitive link, but not demonstrated a mechanism (e.g. gravity or light levels) that would be high on my list as an explanation. Its plausible for sure. However no link was shown. So we are talking about a possible explanation for a hypothetical scenario which has been factually shown not to exist. Good food for thought none-the-less.

This is a great example of when to apply Ockham's razor to solve a problem. Pick the simplest solution that explains the data. In this case that explanation is no relationship exists.
    Last edited by Jalwine; 03-16-2013 at 09:38 AM.

Agreed. Bottom line is no causal relationship has been clearly demonstrated. On the other hand, if we could capture muskies, attach electrodes to their pea-brains, and monitor changes in activity during lunar phases .......