Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Most Important Tool!

Being somewhat of a newbie to the sport, my opinion probably doesn't carry much weight...however, one could look back to the early days of the sport. If you get down to the basics on what it takes to catch a fish is probably most important. IMO what is still the same is probably more important.

They used inferior boats, rods, reels and line to what we use today...yet they still got fish. Yet, some of the baits used in the early days are still being used today in some fashion or another. If it were a supplied guided trip, it's hard to say. Some may take their confidence lures, others like the feel of their own rod(s) and reel(s).

As far as hooks...check with Larry Dahlberg on his new technique to catching muskies without hooks...pretty cool.

Marty, I do believe rod(s) are really important. I went through a stage where I was trying to fish with medium-heavy action rods for most lures, and I think it cost me fish. Up at Herbie's resort I lost a fish right where my son later caught a 30+ lb musky... it may have been the same fish?

Steve mentioned to me that he liked my son's heavy action rod better... both were St. Croix brand and the same length, so I think his preference was the stiffer rod too.

Since switching to substantially heavier and longer rods I've been boating more of the fish I hook. That said, I've caught good fish on medium action rods too, but with bigger lures and hooks I think heavier action rods are better.

I would say line. Of the muskies I've lost due to other than operator error, line has been the most common problem (one where a fish bit right through an 80 lb floro leader). Now most of those have been lost in the days of dacron and mono line. None with super line.
    Jay

Rod but it would be a hard choice between rod and reel.

Re-spool your favorite rod & reel with some good old 30# test monofilament line and then try and get a good hook-set with 20% line stretch !! ,,,,, you'll understand why I think its the new super braid line ------- jimjimjim
    PS --- "Royal Bonyl" as I recall --- LOL ---

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjim View Post
    Re-spool your favorite rod & reel with some good old 30# test monofilament line and then try and get a good hook-set with 20% line stretch !! ,,,,, you'll understand why I think its the new super braid line ------- jimjimjim
    PS --- "Royal Bonyl" as I recall --- LOL ---
    I do remember once using 20 lb test mono and a nice ski hit my bucktail. I set and it felt like a rubber band. I didn't catch the fish, and doubt I spent more than 10 minutes before switching back to dacron. (b4 superline)