Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 74

Thread: wisconsin trolling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minocqua, wi
    Posts
    168

    wisconsin trolling

    how many people feel that the dnr will pass trolling in Oneida and vilas county? I personally hope it gets passed, as I would like the option to troll if I am going from spot to spot, or its too cold or windy to cast.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by tiger man View Post
    how many people feel that the dnr will pass trolling in Oneida and vilas county? I personally hope it gets passed, as I would like the option to troll if I am going from spot to spot, or its too cold or windy to cast.
    I believe it will not pass the way the question is written.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pewaukee,Wisconsin
    Posts
    462
    I'll believe it , when I see it --- one line per angler might work ??? ,,, would eliminate the classic planer board spread collisions that I've seen on other lakes ,,,, if you've never seen it ,, its a thing of beauty !!! ---- LOL ----- jimjimjim
    Last edited by jimjimjim; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Eagle river wisconsin
    Posts
    45
    I dont think it will pass...... there's to much opposition and with the lakes being so small could you imagine 4-5 guys out there trolling and all the bad mouthing going on. I could see it passing on lakes bigger than a 1000 acers or something like that but with as many people that are on like the chains and that trolling might be an issue. It doesnt really bother me if they pass it or not i just think that there will be more on water issues than there are now. We will see though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA.
    Posts
    210
    All,

    For more information about this topic including the rational for and reasons behind the trolling proposal please use this link:

    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/docu...l2012facts.pdf

    I am not concerned that this change will harm the muskie (or any other species) fisheries in Wisconsin.

    Jordan

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NW IL
    Posts
    25
    I'm really hoping something changes with the current laws. Even if it's 1 line per angler that's perfectly fine with me. I'd also be fine with trolling restrictions on smaller lakes (less than 500 acres or whatever).

    But not being able to utilize a proven tactic, on some pretty nice bodies of water, is head scratching, at least for me.. The belief that people are just going to stick a bait out behind the boat and troll around the lake and catch everything, is just not true. Consistently landing fish through trolling takes skill and practice, just like anything else.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Minocqua, wi
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Weeks View Post
    All,

    For more information about this topic including the rational for and reasons behind the trolling proposal please use this link:

    http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/docu...l2012facts.pdf

    I am not concerned that this change will harm the muskie (or any other species) fisheries in Wisconsin.

    Jordan
    Who ultimately decides if the law gets passed, and when would it take effect? I am planning on attending the spring hearing where i live in vilas, and casting my vote for trolling.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pewaukee,Wisconsin
    Posts
    462
    Trolling North Twin, Chip and Trout just might open some eyes in the musky world -- jimjimjim

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    803
    I am all for allowing trolling. I don't see the vast majority of local anglers, guides or weekend warriors doing any significant musky trolling. This will help eliminate position fishing and help those fishing live bait. This will be used more by walleye anglers using livebait rigs than trollers using crankbaits. Sure some anglers will troll with boards for muskies and walleye but what's wrong with that. It might help bring more musky anglers back to northern WI, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    Much like when backtrolling was allowed there were many who griped and complained but very few who trolled.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    I am all for allowing trolling. I don't see the vast majority of local anglers, guides or weekend warriors doing any significant musky trolling. This will help eliminate position fishing and help those fishing live bait. This will be used more by walleye anglers using livebait rigs than trollers using crankbaits. Sure some anglers will troll with boards for muskies and walleye but what's wrong with that. It might help bring more musky anglers back to northern WI, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    Much like when backtrolling was allowed there were many who griped and complained but very few who trolled.
    Trolling will take out a lot more muskies out of lake and put the small numbers of muskies already into jeopardy even further, how about releasing all muskies in certain lakes to get the numbers back up. I also have a lot of time in trolling and know what its capabilities are and have seen lakes ruined from them like Trout lake alone from just row trollers with walleyes. We have to put or ideas of putting and keeping more muskies in the lakes and if successful the word will get out fast enough and the anglers will show up. One of my worst fears is the unregulated amount of muskies being speared in winter, this I feel is not brought up enough cuz its under the radar but Im hearing sickening numbers come out of local waters. All in all I know one thing for sure is that it gets harder and harder every year to catch them while our knowledge goes up and thats a sad case.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •