Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wisconsin trolling

wisconsin trolling

how many people feel that the dnr will pass trolling in Oneida and vilas county? I personally hope it gets passed, as I would like the option to troll if I am going from spot to spot, or its too cold or windy to cast.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger man View Post
    how many people feel that the dnr will pass trolling in Oneida and vilas county? I personally hope it gets passed, as I would like the option to troll if I am going from spot to spot, or its too cold or windy to cast.
    I believe it will not pass the way the question is written.

I'll believe it , when I see it --- one line per angler might work ??? ,,, would eliminate the classic planer board spread collisions that I've seen on other lakes ,,,, if you've never seen it ,, its a thing of beauty !!! ---- LOL ----- jimjimjim
    Last edited by jimjimjim; 02-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.

I dont think it will pass...... there's to much opposition and with the lakes being so small could you imagine 4-5 guys out there trolling and all the bad mouthing going on. I could see it passing on lakes bigger than a 1000 acers or something like that but with as many people that are on like the chains and that trolling might be an issue. It doesnt really bother me if they pass it or not i just think that there will be more on water issues than there are now. We will see though.

All,

For more information about this topic including the rational for and reasons behind the trolling proposal please use this link:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/docu...l2012facts.pdf

I am not concerned that this change will harm the muskie (or any other species) fisheries in Wisconsin.

Jordan

I'm really hoping something changes with the current laws. Even if it's 1 line per angler that's perfectly fine with me. I'd also be fine with trolling restrictions on smaller lakes (less than 500 acres or whatever).

But not being able to utilize a proven tactic, on some pretty nice bodies of water, is head scratching, at least for me.. The belief that people are just going to stick a bait out behind the boat and troll around the lake and catch everything, is just not true. Consistently landing fish through trolling takes skill and practice, just like anything else.

I am all for allowing trolling. I don't see the vast majority of local anglers, guides or weekend warriors doing any significant musky trolling. This will help eliminate position fishing and help those fishing live bait. This will be used more by walleye anglers using livebait rigs than trollers using crankbaits. Sure some anglers will troll with boards for muskies and walleye but what's wrong with that. It might help bring more musky anglers back to northern WI, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Much like when backtrolling was allowed there were many who griped and complained but very few who trolled.

Quote Originally Posted by J_Weeks View Post
    All,

For more information about this topic including the rational for and reasons behind the trolling proposal please use this link:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/fishing/docu...l2012facts.pdf

I am not concerned that this change will harm the muskie (or any other species) fisheries in Wisconsin.

Jordan
    Who ultimately decides if the law gets passed, and when would it take effect? I am planning on attending the spring hearing where i live in vilas, and casting my vote for trolling.

Trolling North Twin, Chip and Trout just might open some eyes in the musky world -- jimjimjim

I backtrolled both North Twin and Trout during the backtrolling days. North Twin had some good numbers of suspended fish at time, and was fun, yet the fishing on the weedline was equally as good. Trout was low in numbers in the weeds and in open water. Lots of hours/days between strikes. There certainly were times when there were greater concentrations of muskies in open water on some lakes, however, it certainly seemed to me that the lakes that were "tough" for casting, were tough for trolling as well. The action waters were fun action lakes for trolling as well. I guess the bummer was that I was hoping that the open water would open up a "special" bite on those big fish waters.....and it didn't. It was just another way to catch them that, at times, was better than casting!