Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Storm Kickin Minnow ?

Storm Kickin Minnow ?

Anyone familiar with the Storm "Kickin Minnow" ?? ,,,, what size 10",8",6" do you prefer??,,, what color??,,, how do you retreive it?? do you upsize the hooks?? --- thanks --- jimjimjim
    Last edited by jimjimjim; 02-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I used to throw the 8" some in our rivers with success. I generally had the best luck on the silver/clear ones (dont remember name). I have used them every way possible from twitching to burning. It seems I had the best luck with a burn/pause technique.

The big one is awesome. Just change to larger hooks. Slow cranking works. Let the lure swim and do its thing. You need to buy a few because they don't last long. The internal plastic breaks and the tails fall off. However this bait is a musky catcher.

What Jim said ... plus, the perfect upsize is to a 4/0 VMC 9650 hook. The red hooks the "Chicken" comes with are a bit too small and don't hold an edge very well.

Re: retrieve speed, I like a slow retrieve with a slight speed up going into the fig-8.

Re: size, I have a huge box of Chickens in my garage and all but maybe two are the 10" model.

The bait has almost a perfect profile to imitate a gizzard shad or a cisco, so it's good north and south. Like other soft plastics, sometimes the muskies crush them and sometime the bait just gets heavy. Also, the muskies in certain waters seem to occasionally prefer one color over another.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

The Dunwright Tackle "Lifelike Perch" series is a similar lure that's supposedly more durable because it's made from a different kind of plastic. (http://www.dunwrighttackle.com/index...tegory&path=14) but I wonder if it has the same action and catching ability as the Kickin Minnow.
    "All men are equal before fish". - Herbert Hoover

Actually pretty darn generous comment of Jim and Steve as I doubt I've ever seen an ad from this bait or met a guy who claims to be sponsored by it. I'd venture an opinion that this is THE BAIT that everybody has but few will admit that they use. It's such a cheap, dumb bait (hence the "rubber chicken" moniker) you just toss it out and reel it back--no skill required. Naturally, that's why, admitting my skill level, it's my favorite. It's kind of like bass...made so everybody can catch a fish. My answer to the big knock that you are lucky to get a second fish (never a third) on the thing is, SO WHAT? I look for them on sale and have bought them for as little as $3.97...FOR A MUSKY..WTF!

--- Thanks Guys !!! ---- jimjimjim

I have heard that if the kickin minnow gets "wounded in action" that Storm when it is sent in will replace it ! But I have not done it myself.
    Would be nice to know if anyone has done this.
    jim

I don't know if anyboy has used more Kickin' Minnows than me....I have used them since 2005 and they are a staple bait in my boat. They are not the most well made lure out there...but they work great. Like previously stated, change the hooks to larger 4-O hooks, I usually use Eagle Claw 774's. Don't even mess with the smaller ones...stick with the 10 incher....and be ready to catch about 80% of the fish that strike them on the 8. I have gone through about 1,000 Kickin Minnows over the years....and that isn't an exaggeration....they work!

Mike Hulbert
    http://www.mikehulbert.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimjimjim View Post
    Anyone familiar with the Storm "Kickin Minnow" ?? ,,,, what size 10",8",6" do you prefer??,,, what color??,,, how do you retreive it?? do you upsize the hooks?? --- thanks --- jimjimjim
    Used them for years....mainly in the fall.....bomb cast...let sink..slow retrieve with some twitches......hits are more walleye like as opposed to a smash.