Thread: 10" phantoms. question for Jim Saric

10" phantoms. question for Jim Saric

Jim, what rod do you use to throw 10" phantoms? my 6'9" st.croix jerkbait rod isn't stout enough, nor was my 8'6" bulldawg rod rated to 10 oz. I thought the thing was going to snap in half. Thanks for any response

Not Jim, but I just built myself a St. Croix 6'9" XH that I extended out to 8'. I went this route because I got a sweet deal on the blank. I built an 8'6" Legend Tournament "Big Nasty" blank for a buddy that handles them well...
    I built the extended rod for throwing big baits like the 10 and 12 inch phantoms and mag pounders...

thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to get a jerkbait rod under 7'2" to throw it, but its not looking like a possiblility, without having a custom pool cue built.

I use the 9' big nasty. I don't think there is a stock rod at under 7'2" that is going to get it done.

Jim,
    Which rod do you prefer to use for WTD topwater lures like the Viper?
    St. Croix doesn't make an 8' X-Hvy in either the Premier series or the Legend Tournament series, and that's what I think would be ideal.
    Do you use the 7'6" Legend Tournament "the jerk" rod at all for jerk/glide baits?
    Thanks.
    Ryan

Ryan
    I do use the 7'6" Legend Tournament Big Jerk for most jerkbaits and side-to-side topwaters.