Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: daiwa lexa hypr speed

Don't sell the Toro reels short, the one thing I like about them is they have a Non - Disengaging Levelwind system so with 100lb braid this reel will shine as with the Lexa 300 and 400 they have a Dis - Engaging Level wind system so with 100lb or bigger I do not like that system at all. I know the new Calcutta D reels have that system but they have a very narrow spool.
    Pimp My Rod & Reel, Best Damm Muskie Reel Detailing, Tuning and Relubing Period !!!
    Richard W Schmitz aka PikeMaster

I have the lexa 300 7:1. This reel works great for smaller bucktails, top water and jerk baits.
    I have the lexa 400 6:3. Have not used it yet

Used two Lexa reels (6.3 7.1) for two seasons now and love them.

For what I do another Toro 50 will be just fine. Not much info out there on the Lexa's from people who actually used one. Now to just decide on the speed, how tough do I feel?

I couldn't help myself today... found new Lexa 400 6.3:1 for $178 and Lexa 300 7.1:1 for $133 on eBay, shipped and no taxes. (they had more if anyone is interested!)

Plan to use the 300 as a jig, small bucktail, surface and crankbait reel with a TI 9 ft MH rod... and should work fine for Suicks too with an 8 ft St. Croix Avid heavy action rod.

Will try the Lexa 400 with power handle for double 10's with a TI 9 ft XH rod... noting it's similar line pickup rate to the slower TranX model. I couldn't get myself to buy the 5.1:1, we'll see if it was a mistake this summer.

Looking forward to comparing to my Revo Toro 50 and 60 reels, which I've been satisfied with.

If you google Lexa repair kit it appears they had a bearing problem. Still looking to find out what its all about but it scares me a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by hawg View Post
    If you google Lexa repair kit it appears they had a bearing problem. Still looking to find out what its all about but it scares me a little bit.
    It would be nice if you can post some links, since I can't find anything.
    My two Lexas are over 2 years old with many hours on them without single problem.

Received my Daiwa Lexa 300 and 400 reels... first impressions are very favorable, noting the paddle handle on the 400 model looks similar to the Luna or AC300A, but probably larger. Looks as though the power handle is not interchangeable between the 300 and 400 series, however... contrary to what a "musky shop expert" had told me. I had ordered one with a paddle handle and the other with a power handle, under the impression that I could interchange handles on either reel... minor oops.

Lifeisfun, I'm ordering from the same place today, incredable price. My concern and the reason I was investigating is because of the huge price difference. My concern was a problem batch came out that someone bought up and was dumping them on EBay. I called Diawa today and was told they changed, or may change, the bearing on the palm side to a non shielded for easier cleaning but no other problems. Usually when there's that much price difference a red flag goes up for me. There are a few Google posts on the bearings though.

I've got 3 of the 300s and 2 of the 400s. Made a trip to test cast the 400s last Monday. Fantastic reveals. I have a couple of TranX and think they are a bit big and clunky. These 400s are a perfect size and profiled to fit your hand better. Both of mine are the lower gear ratio with the big power handle. I wanted to make sure they handle double cowgirls. They ate 'me up. Smooth and quiet. I'm in the southern zone (IL) so will hopefully test them on a fish in the next few weeks but at this point I really like them.