Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: daiwa lexa hypr speed

daiwa lexa hypr speed

diawa lexa hypr speed 300 anyone know if this would be good for musky fishing.7.1 holds 40lb braid 240 yards power handle rated for light salwater muskie striper.0723

Its been a season now since these have been around. How did they do for those that tried them. They have a pretty reasonable price point for an extra reel.

I bought a Lexa 400H over the winter and can't wait to put it through its paces. It looks a lot like a TranX but it's $250.00 instead of $500.00. If it meets all my hopes for performance, I will retire my Saltist 30 level winds to my trolling rods.

Marty, I'd appreciate your feedback on the Lexa 400H once you've tried it out. I know the price tag has kept me away from the TranX, but if these are made anything like a Luna or AC300 they would be a bargain.

0723 asked: diawa lexa hypr speed 300 anyone know if this would be good for musky fishing.7.1 holds 40lb braid 240 yards power handle rated for light salwater muskie striper.0723

I would think it's good for smaller to medium sized musky lures with lighter lines, such as 65 or 80 lb test superbraids, as it should hold about the same amount of 80 lb test superbraid as 20 lb test mono.

Personally, I'm giving some consideration to the Lexa 400 series, which is quite a bit heavier, but also has greater line capacity. I'd plan to use for large, double-bladed bucktails. (DCG or similar) I would use 100 lb test superbraid, and figure it'll hold about 120-150 yards, which means I'll also be maintaining a fuller spool, which will increase my retrieve rate compared to casting out 50% or more of the line using a smaller reel with a narrow spool. Still unsure as to whether 6.3:1 or 7.1:1 ratio and paddle or power handle?
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 03-11-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: add/type

BLL, That 400 is huge. They claim it's their Tuna reel. There doesn't seem to be much for reviews anywhere except for their company ones.

"BLL, That 400 is huge. They claim it's their Tuna reel. There doesn't seem to be much for reviews anywhere except for their company ones."

Yup... but not as large as a TranX. It's about 4 oz lighter, and has spool capacity similar to a Luna 300 or Revo Toro 60, which is what I'm looking for. I've got 4 Revo Toro's, which I like, but am looking for a reel for burning DCG's and similar. I'm thinking the 6.3:1 ratio is plenty fast... concerned the 7.1:1 may crank too hard retrieving DCG's. Almost have to try both to know, however.

Big Fish is right, you could mistake it for the Revo Toro 60, but it's slightly bigger, more line capacity, and a big set of Cahoonahs. I've been casting it in my yard and its crank is turning my crank.

I'm a little concerned about the 7.1:1 also. So do you think the 300 is a little too small? It must be fairly close to a Revo 50 isn't it?
    Last edited by hawg; 03-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.

I think the Lexa 300 is probably a great reel... 22 lbs of drag for one thing, and is comparable sized to the Revo Toro 50, of which I own and use 2. I think they are probably perfect for throwing smaller and lighter baits. If I was in the market for a Revo Toro 50 or similar, I'm sure I'd buy the Daiwa Lexa 300 instead, based on price and the drag rating.

I'm sure it would work OK for larger baits too, but I simply think the larger spool capacity of the 400 series is better for 100 lb test line, which I like to use for Mag Dawgs and all heavier baits.

If a person isn't planning to throw the largest baits with 100 lb test line it's probably an excellent choice. (noting I have not even seen one, but going on specs, and relying that Daiwa generally makes very good (like Luna) reels. I wasn't impressed with the drag in the Diawa Advantage reels, of which I also own 3. They are good for throwing bass tackle in the spring... actually very good except a relatively weak drag system)
    Last edited by BLL_BIGFISH; 03-13-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add/typos