Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Big O episode

I've got another 2 cents that agrees with Justin show the whole landing, unhooking, measuring, photo, and release for big fish, for small fish shake them off in the water

Sorry Justin, I don't show the measurements to keep the pace of the show. I don't understand why it matters to show the measurement because if it's 45, 48, 50, or 55 it really doesn't matter. They are all big. If you listen closely you'll often hear me mention the length on the big ones. I never consider a 42 incher a rat and maybe that's why you need to know the measurement and I don't.

Wow ... "rats" ... I don't know what to say about that kind of disrespect for a musky.

Funny thing is, 100% of musky anglers were thrilled or will be thrilled with their first 42-incher, and 98% of musky anglers are still thrilled every time they catch a 42-incher. I hope Jim keeps showing them.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

You got to LOVE them all!! Took many years as a youngster to get my first 40 incher. Thought I was in hog heaven.

Muskie regards,
    Larry Ramsell
    www.larryramsell.com

I agree you would not have time to show every fish on the board and I would love to take 42' "rats" all day long. I just kind of think when you catch a SPECIAL fish that it might be something that you may want to think about next time or maybe just mention later on how big is was. After watching the show I kept wondering how long that giant was until I got on the computer and the majority of the people who watch your show don't get on this site.
    Thanks and keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Saric View Post
    Sorry Justin, I don't show the measurements to keep the pace of the show. I don't understand why it matters to show the measurement because if it's 45, 48, 50, or 55 it really doesn't matter. They are all big. If you listen closely you'll often hear me mention the length on the big ones. I never consider a 42 incher a rat and maybe that's why you need to know the measurement and I don't.

Pace of the show? I'm letting you know your viewers want to see as much footage of 54"+ fish as you can provide.... Heck take 5 minutes of the show and revisit the How, where all the details you can provide...everything you can present on the fish you (and many of us are truly after). you call it a fish of a lifetime but you don't want to show as much as you can to the audience? If size doesn't matter to you why did you measure it at all? .....you are traveling all the way to the O to catch 42" or 45" fish??...
    I don't see you writing articles "How I caught 1000 muskies between 38"-43"...But you did write an article 100+ 50" fish...
    I handle every muskie with care so it grows..I'm not disrespecting small fish every 50"+ fish has to be a 42" fish...

Justin, I for one have no desire to see a fish measured, I think the musky fishing community would be a LOT better off if we spent less time measuring fish and worried less about records and number of catches.

Please don't speak for me as I am a viewer of the show and have no desire to see fish on a bump board.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the older I get the more unimpressed I am with tallies and measurments. Enjoy the sport for what it is, not length of fish and numbers of fish.

StormyK

It seems the consesus is that viewers would like to see the fish being measured , Maybe Jim you could dedicate a Tech tip type of segment and educate the masses on proper ways to get Length and girth with the proper/accepted methods , but i do agree with Larry, all Muskies are fun and who really cares if it is 42" or 55" if an acomplished angler such as Jim, who has already caught bigger does it really matter , better to get a quick pic and back she goes , unless of course you are not sure if it beats your pb , Nice day on the river congrats , Bill

I'm retired and simply cant afford to travel all over the USA and Canada to fish ,,,, I'll take ALL the 42"ers I can get ,,,, LOL -------- jim

Quote Originally Posted by horsehunter View Post
    I've got another 2 cents that agrees with Justin show the whole landing, unhooking, measuring, photo, and release for big fish, for small fish shake them off in the water
    I just think this would be a good educational opertunity by showing just how quickly this can be done when done properly and with confidence.