Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roberts outdoors depthraiders

Roberts outdoors depthraiders

HOW are the roberts baby depthraiders I see some prefer the old depthraiders better.0723

I am confused by your question. Roberts outdoors hasn't produced Deprhraiders for years. Robinson Wholesale produces them now and they are as good as ever.

I am confused too is bucher outdoors still owned by roberts outdoors ?I see the depthraiders for sale listed as roberts outdoors depthraiders on ebay and overstock all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 0723 View Post
    I am confused too is bucher outdoors still owned by roberts outdoors ?I see the depthraiders for sale listed as roberts outdoors depthraiders on ebay and overstock all the time

There have been three companies that have produced the Bucher lures over the last decade or so, so I can understand the confusion. Joe Bucher Tackle Co. produced Joe's lures prior to, I believe, 2002 or 2003. These lures are awesome, if you can find them. (The packaging was marked with a very dark gray background, with distinctive red and white lettering.)

From around 2002-2003 until, I think, 2008-2009, the lures were produced by Roberts Outdoors under a licensing arrangement with Joe. These lures had the "rainbow" packaging, and quality could be an issue at times. You may still find some of this in tackle shops, and it's definitely what you'll find in bargain bins and overstock websites. (See the image below to understand what I mean by rainbow packaging -- see how it transitions from orange to yellow to green to blue ... like a rainbow.)

Joe has worked with Robinson Wholesalers for the last 3-4 years and from what I've seen, the quality of the new lures is as good as it was when Joe ran the company. The packaging is somewhat similar to the original Joe Bucher Tackle packaging described above Anything you purchase from www.joebucheroutdoors.com is of very good quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roberts packaging.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	620  
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

The old original depthraiders are the best ones all the newer ones are garbage.
    The old ones had clear plastic under the paint jobs (is much better quality plastic) and last forever
    The new ones have white plastic (much cheaper) under the paint jobs and it is not very durable, hooks burn threw sides very fast trolling even with the hooks T'd then they have big holes in them and sink, fish also can put holes in it very easy also.
    I've had hundreds of fish in my boat on depthraiders, all my old ones still hold up great with hundreds of hours trolling. Any new ones I've bought are junk in a few months of hard use. And will not buy any more. I sent a bunch of my old ones to be repainted by a friend so they will be like new again.
    I emailed Joe about the problem, he got back to me and said he was unaware of that and never heard of that before.
    Everyone I know has same problem
    So if you find old ones for sale buy'm all
    Jeff Hanson
    madisonmuskyguide.com
    Last edited by Jeff Hanson; 01-09-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Thanks steve for clarifying that gor me.Thank you Jim and steve for letting me know the new lures work well. Jeff I have had paint issues with the pre roi depthraiders peeled and all didnt matter still caught fish.0723

yes some of the paint peeled on a few of them especialy the chrome ones. I have about 60 of the old ones and only 1 or 2 of mine had paint issues. The problem with the new ones is they get big holes in the plastic and sink and most of the time they don't run very well anymore.
    i can deal with paint coming off holes in the plastic makes them junk
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by Jeff Hanson; 01-09-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hanson View Post
    yes some of the paint peeled on a few of them especialy the chrome ones. I have about 60 of the old ones and only 1 or 2 of mine had paint issues. The problem with the new ones is they get big holes in the plastic and sink and most of the time they don't run very well anymore.
    i can deal with paint coming off holes in the plastic makes them junk
    Thanks,
    Jeff
    I have found the same thing. I rarely troll but when I do I love using depthraiders and the newer depthraiders I use for trolling all have expeierenced this. As of now the holes arent deep enough into the plastic to fill with water yet but if I spend much more time at all trolling with them they will be toast. I was shocked to see how bad the hooks carved into the plastic after only 10 hours or so of trolling.

Jeff is 100 % correct. I also will not buy the new ones either. Very soft plastic. Very dull sound from rattles. Wish Bucher would come back with the harder ABS plastic that was onced used in the early models. This new soft plastic is sad!!!
    This is common-place for lures that have been on the market for long periods of time. When you find a good bait, Buy a bunch. Went through the same thing with the old Jim Bagley lures. Luckily, I bought them buy the 100's.

Raiders

Been out of the game for 13 years, sad to hear the Raiders aren't what they used to be. I've got dozens of the originals in my basement. All kinds of colors. Some used some new. I guess I'm sitting on a gold mine!

I'm old enough to remember the same thing happening to the Pikie Minnow. When CCBCo switched to plastic, no one was happy.

When the Bagley DB-08 changed their design, we weren't happy with that either.

I think the only lure in our circle that never changed much was the Believer. Not sure if they're still around today.

I guess that makes me part of 'the good old days!'

Mike