Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicago Muskie Show this weekend!

Great start to the show today. Lots of people early, and a lot of energy for the coming season. It was good to kick-start the 2013 season this way.

I'm looking forward to a big Saturday. I speak at 10 a.m., and Jim is on at 1 p.m. I hope to see you there!
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

How many people signed up for the free raffles? The financial guy was relentless today when he called me. I figured I would get a call but he was as bad as those you won a vacation call which I made up info on that one, everyone wins a "free" vacation.

Sad to see those types of vendors have been allowed into the show. Keep the ice cream vendor that is a nice break. I live not far from this show but my return is doubtful.

I had a great time, as I always do, and there is no way I'm not coming back. I will admit, however that those guys in the hallway wearing suits were just a tad over the top in your face trying to mask a sales pitch with some sort of kid's charity. On the other hand, if a musky feeding on a point, that the local baitshop sends every single boat to, can ignore the same bucktail that he's already seen a hundred and fifty times that morning....well I can ignore a guy WEARING A SUIT to a fishing expo! The bigger sports shows are far worse with every home improvement and aluminum siding salesman you can imagine rubbing shoulders with the time share guys. It's just a fact of life, same as seeing ads in the newspapers. You just have to let people make a living...or as they say in the 12-step groups, "Take what you want and leave the rest!"

Junkman, there are certainly some good people and vendors at the show. I have a very hard time believing the promotor could not fill thr space with apropriate vendors. Do keep the ice cream, that was a good move. I dont need to sign up for a raffle "for a good cause" and be harassed. I do like your idea though getting the promotors info and putting that down.

Hey, don't mix me up with the guy who wanted list peoples names, I am not into that. It's just not that big of a deal!

I agree that the orange colored booth in the hallway was a bit much, and the show organizers should have a talk with them. However, I can tell you that I never stopped walking, as I passed their booth. So, the inconvenience was minimal.

Keep in mind that they rented a booth, so they were pumping money into the show. It's kind of like commercials on TV.

Brian

The show was great has usual

The guys in hallway signing people up were VERY unprofessional,,,it is considered VERY poor technique to stand in the aisle and try to direct people to your booth or product regardless of if its retail or charitable.
    Your supposed to stay within the confines of your booth and then you can try to invite people over but NEVER out in the aisles.

Seminar lineup was great
    and YES keep the ice cream.

I had a great time as usual. Seminars were very good. Dahlberg had a good crowd but it wasn't my cup of tea. The new pounder colors were great. I could have done without the lady yelling out to sign up for the free boat every time I went by. I spent too much but that's ok. Can't wait until fishing season.
    Jeff

Highlight for me was Happy Hooker puking in my car. I beat him years ago in a pizza eating contest, which he still contests. No contesting I drank a pile at the Saturday Night party, didn't feel the best Sunday, but "at least" did not puke. There is a great song by Bernie Larsen called "At least I'm not...(insert Democrat, Republican, whatever here)" which can be used to make fun of anybody. I've re-written the song "At least I didn't puke..."

I was helping at the Barker Bay Booth in the hallway, but was never hassled by the Orange Booth people, maybe I look too poor to buy anything. It was great seeing that Larry Ramsell, Dick Pearson, and the Steves and others don't look a bit older. Some just look wiser. Lou Malnati's was a feast, as always. Still eating Malnati's today. Teck found a wrench for getting the connectors off his Lawrance (that is really tough when fingers are cold or wet). Eric bought so much stuff he had to spread it between two cars to get it home. I bought some Stealth Leaders. I've been stealing them from others for years. I liked Larry Dahlberg's mallard duck decoy with trailing little duck. I think the resulting fish was sleight of camera, but I liked it anyway.

I seem to remember more Muskies Inc booths at previous Chicago Shows. One that always raffled a motor, and another that raffled a Ranger? Lure swap had too many early arrivers who look more like commercial vendors than fishermen. And changing the TV station from the exciting Ravens/Broncos game overtime to the Packers/49ers? C'mon.

Hey KenK, I do have good taste in music, even if it was recorded within the previous year. Dessa kicks but, and Foster the People-that 2/4 beat is killer.

Greg Ide
    (Hey Junkman, were they selling timeshares? I once went to a presentation by something called Blue/Green. They were high pressure, but I like that, (I love shopping for cars) and got them at their own game. They said "wouldn't you like to stay at this Chalet that is $200 a night as your week". I told them I'd already stayed there and only paid $40 a night when renting from an owner.

I thought everybody knew that you can buy any timeshare on the secondary market for half or less of the retail price. And you can stay at a timeshare for less than a hotel. How can people still be foolish enough to buy timeshares at retail?)