Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New musky hunter

My daughter just tweeted this:

"My dad just came sprinting down the stairs like a kid on Christmas morning because he remembered his fishing show was on TV... And then proceeded to sing along and head bang to the background theme song."

Brian

I always thought my shadow in the water would put an end to a follow. Watching the show I guess that is not always the case.

Great show Jim!

Jim great show. You asked about the water clarity. I was up in Sept and the resort owner in Miles Bay said it was the clearest he's ever seen this late in the year. The cause - no rain. The rain allows run off which add nutrients into the water, this causes your major algae blooms.

Jim, great show, I enjoyed the fish and the tips. I Tee hooks on jerk baits, but you doing surface baits was a new one on me. I'll pick one and give it a try in the coming season. Looking forward to Harper next week and will pick up your new book and be by for your HOF autograph.

Awesome show. Bill is a master and the deadstick footage was incredible. The scene in which Bill missed a musky while Jim was doing the talking point on ShallowRaider colors was amazing ... Jim never missed a beat. Do you realize how tough that is to do?

About the deadstick -- I watched the show twice and I'm not sure how Jim set the hook, but it's imperative that you set the hook downward when a fish grabs the bait, then reel hard and set again. You have to set downward rather than upward, otherwise you'll likely pull the bait from the fish's mouth.

I've tried to get the deadstick on film for the last couple of years but it's tough when you only catch a few of them every year with the technique and you have a camera rolling only a couple times each year. The best I've done is a fish that hung around for about five minutes before finally "kissing" a 10-inch Suick that lay on the surface. There was no chance for a hookup.

What you saw on MHTV was exactly the way it works. If the jaws are flexing, leave the bait motionless. If the fish starts to melt, give the bait a slight pull forward (too hard and it will spook). As Jim demonstrated, you often dink around with a particular fish for a couple minutes before it commits ... IF it commits. But it's intoxicating to watch and awesome when you catch one.

There are patterns within this pattern. Sometimes they want a slow-rising minnowbait, like the mid-sized ShallowRaider Jim was using. Sometimes they'll want a minnowbait that's more buoyant.

Gotta give credit to Kevin Schmidt for figuring out you can catch these fish. He and I are still trying to perfect the technique, but we're dealing with muskies, so "perfect" may be impossible.
    Last edited by Steve Heiting; 01-08-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Made the deadstick hookset explanation more clear.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

I had heard of the technique on here before but it really helped to be able to actually see it happen. I will definitely be trying it some this year.

We have done this with Jackpots, also. The video that Dick Pearson showed at the Chicago Musky SHow a few years ago was awesome. The Jackpot layed on the water for what seemed like an eternity. Then when it was twitched, the water exploded! We have had the fish sit under the bait "tasting" it a few times but have yet to hook up. The footage was awesome.
    Jeff

The only bait I use the dead stick is suicks. Caught about a dozen using it. They don't only explode on the bait, but just grab it from below or swipe it sideways when you pull it under for another twitch. Fun way, but only for the most patient of fisherman. Natural instinct is to call the fish a looker and pull the bait for another full cast and hope the fish grabs it the next trip by.