Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Louie!! Louie!!

Quote Originally Posted by hairy lures View Post
    The Malo fish is mounted (looks exactly as originally pictured) and hangs at Dunrovin Bar, not far from you. How can you say it is a fake?
    I vote for either the Obrien or Williamson fish. I know the Obrien fish has come under fire, but I met a biologist who said he was there when it was weighed and I met another guy who took a photo of the musky after it was weighed. It was a horizontal photo and the girth still looked massive.

"In all, over 225 man hours and several hundred dollars were spent on the review. Also, many hundreds of miles were driven and all available key persons were interviewed in order to get their story."

Quote Originally Posted by hairy lures View Post
    The Malo fish is mounted (looks exactly as originally pictured) and hangs at Dunrovin Bar, not far from you. How can you say it is a fake?

Quote Originally Posted by dfkiii View Post
    "In all, over 225 man hours and several hundred dollars were spent on the review. Also, many hundreds of miles were driven and all available key persons were interviewed in order to get their story."
    What fish are you refering to

I know a lot of the people who witnessed the O'Brien fish and no on spoke to them

That was a quote from Larry's book/website stating the research that went into the Malo fish.

Quote Originally Posted by horsehunter View Post
    What fish are you refering to

I know a lot of the people who witnessed the O'Brien fish and no on spoke to them

hairy I can say it is "bogus" because I know the "whole" story now (didn't when I wrote my first "Compendium"). Fish was taken below the Chip Dam in April by poachers (one of whom provided "Louie" with his first "record" in 1939). It was frozen in a block of ice and brought out later. Louie was involved temporarily in that one too, but didn't want to get involved as he was still getting heat from his 1949 scam/record. He owed Hank Baroo, then owner of Sportsman's Lodge on Middle Eau Claire Lake (former "bad Detroit cop", as was learned just a few years ago) and Baroo made Malo the stooge and tried to get the fish accepted as a record. I had believed in this fish for many years and once even tried to get it recognized as the record...glad that never happened! So, sorry guys, the Malo fish too was BOGUS!

No one has mentioned Cal Johnson's fish yet, so I'll head that one off too...BOGUS!!

Muskie regards,
    Larry Ramsell,
    Muskellunge Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Larry_Ramsell View Post
    hairy I can say it is "bogus" because I know the "whole" story now (didn't when I wrote my first "Compendium"). Fish was taken below the Chip Dam in April by poachers (one of whom provided "Louie" with his first "record" in 1939). It was frozen in a block of ice and brought out later. Louie was involved temporarily in that one too, but didn't want to get involved as he was still getting heat from his 1949 scam/record. He owed Hank Baroo, then owner of Sportsman's Lodge on Middle Eau Claire Lake (former "bad Detroit cop", as was learned just a few years ago) and Baroo made Malo the stooge and tried to get the fish accepted as a record. I had believed in this fish for many years and once even tried to get it recognized as the record...glad that never happened! So, sorry guys, the Malo fish too was BOGUS!

No one has mentioned Cal Johnson's fish yet, so I'll head that one off too...BOGUS!!

Muskie regards,
    Larry Ramsell,
    Muskellunge Historian

Dang...I loved the story when Larry's first book came out...good reading BTW.

So Larry, what is your current champion ?

I vote for Spray. Even if it was bogus, which I don't think, he did the best job authenticating it. I'd go with Lawton, but he didn't get a mount, which seems odd.

"frozen in a block of ice and brought out later" That's a good one. Sure were alot of suckers back in the old days.

TJB, I'm with you! LOUIE! LOUIE! LOUIE!

Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I vote for Spray. Even if it was bogus, which I don't think, he did the best job authenticating it. I'd go with Lawton, but he didn't get a mount, which seems odd.

"frozen in a block of ice and brought out later" That's a good one. Sure were alot of suckers back in the old days.

Even a few today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	malo5.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	608

Smile, You're On Musky Hunter T.V...

http://66.133.129.5/~ddfenner/