Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for this-Muskies, Inc. list of lures taking 50" fish

looking for this-Muskies, Inc. list of lures taking 50" fish

ive heard of people talking about this but i cant find it anywhere -Muskies, Inc. list of lures taking 50" fish- i want to get more lure educated seeing as ive prob used no more than 7 kinds of lures. someone please give me insight where to find this cause i cant seem to find it on the sight. thanks

I've never seen the list, but I have run this data before. In the past 10 years or so there have only been about 250 fish over 50 inches recorded in the Muskie's Inc data base for the state of Wisconsin. They are rare fish in this state! Of those about 60% were either caught on buck tails or crank baits. Jerk baits, sucker rigs, and surface baits made up the majority of the remainder. Looking at specific baits top raiders came out on top with 19 fish boated over 50”. Sucker rigs and double tens came in second and third. Statistically speaking if the water temp is below 60 you are best off with a crank bait. Perch colored shallow/depth raiders produced best. My personal opinion is that you should match the base forage in the lake when it comes to crank baits. It just so happens in Wisconsin perch are the base forage in many lakes. With water temps above 60 degrees buck tails become king. The numbers suggest top water baits start working well once temps rise above 68. As color goes, for buck tails and top water you can do no better than black. Based on the statistics my top three would be:

1. Black double 10
    2. Black Top Raider
    3. Perch colored Depth Raider

-Josh

Muskies Inc Top Lures for all Muskys
    11,029 Suick
    10,560 Crank Bait
    9,625 Wiley Crank
    8,166 Grandma Crank
    7,994 Mepps
    7,607 Bagley Crank
    7,308 Tuff Shad
    6,699 Sucker, Quick Set
    6,252 Jake
    6,057 Reef Hawg
    Hopes this helps, Tom

IMO, bait and bait color production figures have always been a little skewed. For instance, if 80% of all baits being thrown in given year are black, or mosly black, one can reasonably assume that 80% of the muskies caught that year will be on black lures.

If we are looking at specific baits, I would think the topraider would be a top producing bait considering it's popularity. I don't have any figures, but if you look thru the available lures by catagory in the Musky Shop Catalog, the number of prop-style topwater baits isn't as diverse as bucktails. Therefore, the topraider isn't as diluted in it's category as something like a Mepps musky killer would be. Combine that with brand recognition and lure style preference, it's easy to see why it's a popular bait.

It would be extremely difficult to do so, but a more accurate way of gauging the top lures, would be to identify how much a certain lure is used vs. how much it produces.

All very valid points. Is it popular because it produces the most fish or does it produce the most fish because it's popular? The data doesn't tell us, but when you look at long periods of time I think the two are essentially one in the same. The data examined was spread over a 10 year period. Baits can get popular, but they usually don't stay popular over the long run unless they produce fish. The effort data you mention would be the holy grail of data sets. Sadly it isn't currently out there. I also think there is probably something like a life cycle of effectiveness for baits. For instance I've got to believe eventually double 10's will start to lose their "magic" after every fish in the state has seen dozens of them day in and day out. Interesting stuff!

You need to be a member of Muskies Inc and then you can access this MI data on the MI web site.

my grandpa is part of it but he and i havnt boated any more than 10 and i wanna suprise him with some newfound info and get at least a 48 er before he moves to south carolina

Brandon ---- your lure investigation is great ,, however ,, you should really look at what LAKE these big fish came from ,, it takes a special eco system to consistently produce these very large fish ---- jimjimjim

thanks jim but i am only able to fish lake st clair MI. my grandpa takes me every saturday and thats it cause he works a whole lot. anything you can let me know about this lake? ive watched some videos of jim saric catching some nice ones there and the local michigan musky shop gave me a good idea where to go to catch them on the lake so im slowly learning more and more to catch a bigger one. we dont troll just cast.

St. Claire + Medusa/Bondy + Time = >48