Thread: Casting Distance, Which Reel Will Give You The Longest Distance With An 8 Foot Rod ?

Question Casting Distance, Which Reel Will Give You The Longest Distance With An 8 Foot Rod ?

Some of us like to be stealthy and to be able to cast over a long distance.

Suppose you were using a six ounce lure like a Hang 10 Manta and using an eight foot rod to throw it.

Which reel would you chose: a Shimano Tranx,or the new Calcutta D, one of Shimano's Calcutta TE's (eithor the 700 or the 400) or one of Abu Garcia's ie the Toro Winch, or Record or perhaps the 7000 or even the Diawa Luna ? Have I left out anyone's favorite?

And could you say why you prefer a certain choice given the above criteria?
    Everyone's answer should prove to be quite interesting.

Merry Christmas to all!

jim

jim -- casting distance is also dependent upon line diameter -- jim

This is a weird question. If you know how to tune a reel properly or can handle casting them with the brakes off, any reel will fire a lure as far as another, IMO. The 8' rod and distance depends on action as well. Is it MH, H, XH, XXH? I have 2 combos set up for glides and jerks. A Shimano Curado 300E on a 7'2H and Revo Toro 50HS on a 7'6XH. Both reels have 80# Sufix 832. Don't really find that one cast further than the other.

Of the reels you have listed I would go with the 400D, I bought one this fall and it casts and reels very smooth even compared to my Calcuttas and Morrums. It also has a disengaging levelwind which in theory should increase casting distance.

Based on my experience using standard sized muskie lures the Calcutta D followed by the Tranx. For distance you need a large diameter spool and a good antibacklash system (unless you are an olympic quality distance caster with a golden right thumb) and they have both. Wail it hard and they both get it way way way out there.

I have the Calcutta D on a 8'6" rod and the reel casts a mile with a heavy lure like a big bucktail, crank, or topwater. It is easy to palm and really light so great to cast. I love my other older Calcutta Bs but the new reel is smoother.

My understanding (not hands on yet) of the new Calcutta D is that part of what makes it smaller is that there is no mechanism for the level wind to operate during the casting process, and my guess is that it might allow for a longer cast. Not sure however, what if anything, that is going to cause you to sacrifice. Next, as JimJim stated above, if you have 80 lb on one reel and 65 lb on another, you will see a blatant difference in casting ability and distance. Last, like I have related before, I spent a whole summer learning how to cast my Saltist 30's with no brakes before I could do it repeatedly without backlash. Now, I back off the brakes (pretty much all the way) on all my reels and rely on what is now a much more educated thumb to cast all my reels much farther. Just don't minimize the learning curve however, cuz the "professional overrun" you will deal with is often scary to say the least.

I remember reading not too long ago that competitive distance casters still use ABU 5000/6000s. Ceramic everything, aftermarket mag brake, super light oil, etc.

A frozen thumb aint got no edjumacation

IMO a Luna isnt going to win any distance contests but it does everything else so nicely.
    Last edited by Squad51; 12-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.

My experience is with St. Croix Avid AC300 series, ABU 6500C, Diawa Millionaire 5H and ABU Revo Toro 50 and 60 reels, and my money is probably on the ABU reels for distance casting. I suspect the old 6500C and Revo Toro reels would be similar, but the Revo Toro reels are much nicer to cast and retrieve.

As far as line is concerned, I generally prefer 100 lb test superlines, though 80 and 65 may go slightly further in a casting distance contest. Actually, on the Avid AC300 I found 100 lb test Stealth to be better for casting than 80 lb... less likely to backlash.

Off topic, I'd much prefer to disassemble/reassemble the old 6500C reels. Probably takes about half the time compared to either a St. Croix 300 or Revo Toro.

I still have a Sweden made c3 7000 winch that is about 25 years old and still casts a mile after Dave's Reel Repair rebuilt it for me. I just took it with me to Canada this Summer and was outcasting the newer reels!