Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you choose to "Go Cheap?"

Where do you choose to "Go Cheap?"

I was reading the other thread about saving money on a musky net on my I-phone while eating breakfast this morning when a guy comes up and asks me about how my tournament season was going. Before I could figure out a way not to think about that while I was eating, he started to tell me about his recent trip Up-North and the musky guide he had hired. I mentioned a few guys I thought he might be talking about and he said, “No, no, those are expensive guys, we were just looking for CHEAPEST guy!” Naturally, my criteria would be different than that. So I thought it might be a fun thread to explore the idea of WHERE it’s OK to go cheap, and WHERE it’s not? Here’s an example: Every time I go North, I pay a higher price to buy no-ethanol premium, then burn extra gas bringing home the extra 350 pounds of fuel. I just don’t want the ethanol stuff in my beloved Verado. So, where do you refuse to scrimp???

I don't.

Now I'm not saying I own the most expensive stuff out there, far from it.

But I was taught early....if you can't do it right, don't do it at all. And when it comes to the fish....or safety....I don't cheese on it. I said earlier, if you take care of it it will last a lifetime anyway.....

I've fished and hunted with guys who do that all the time. Then all they do is waste time trying to fix stuff...or whine about being wet.....or cold. These are usually the same guys who get alligator arms when it comes to buying a round...they still have their communion money.

You have to pay the band if you want to dance.

I use Abu reels, C3's and 4's, rather than the costlier brands. I can get by with it since I know a good reel mechanic. m

As a rule I go by the rule "Buy quality, cry once".

The last time I went "cheap", I didn't max out my outboard horsepower to to the hull max. That's a mistake I'll never make again.

I went cheap by buying a used boat for 5k instead of a new one for 30k.

I don't go "cheap" with anything to do with musky fishing but I buy st croix mojo musky rods instead of the legend tournament. I find sensitivity is less important in musky fishing so I take the extra money and buy a really good, durable reel.

Andrew

I learned to avoid going cheap with fishing stuff. I have a large collection of impulse buy lures from bargain bins that never see water, and plenty of broken ugly stik's and lightning rods, not doing that anymore.
    I will buy used lures or trade with people to get stuff though.
    For example I wanted some topraiders and traded some off brand bulldawgs for them that i never used. Saved some money and we both came out wehre we wanted.

Paid $10,800 for my boat over ten years ago. Could still get 7 or 8K for it. Always best to go cheap on the high buck stuff, and expensive on the cheap stuff. Getting a cheap guide, so that the guide can't even earn a living sounds criminal.

Greg Ide
    ( I eat wild blueberries at $6 a pound, never the $2 a pound moldy ones)

I went cheap on hook cutters. They didn't work and I bought a pair of knipex. I bought a Cheap Net, Now I'm looking to buy a good One. My brother bought a cheap rod, it snapped. I decided not to replace a treble hook that i cut, and i missed a few fish.

Basically everytime i go cheap It cost me more, do your self a favour and spend the money.
    - Rick Ozga

I don't go 'cheap', I go inexpensive. I can't stand low quality fishing gear. I buy high quality stuff that is lightly used. My reels for example: Curado 300DSV- barely used and I paid $130; NIB Revo Toro 60HS I paid $150 shipped; almost new Saltist 30 I paid $120 shipped; I got a barely used 5500 C3 for $20 at a flea market. Sometimes I have to wait to make a purchase, but I don't like paying retail for stuff.

Lures are a different story. I love getting custom lures from other builders! Sometimes you have to pay big for them.

As far as rods, I build my own so I can't really talk about rods.

As far as tackle boxes, I got two Flambeau Maximizers for $40 each- new!

As far as release tools and net, I bought some lower end stuff that I know is still good quality.

If you want to go 'cheap', my advice is to buy used gear. Like I mentioned, you may have to wait a bit to find what you are looking for but it will be worth it in the end.

jeremy