Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable Heater For Boats

Portable Heater For Boats

Sucker fishing starts for me soon and in northern IL and southern WI, we fish into December. I have always thought about a portable heater for my boat. I almost bought the Mr. Buddy medium heater, but thought I would ask on here if anyone knows of a better one? Also, I was thinking of mounting it on a square piece of plywood to keep tipping and carpet burning to a minimum. I think that would be a good idea?

Do you have cupholders? If so, look into the golf-cart heaters that mount in standard cupholders.

TECK on these boards and I made a November Manitou Canadian trip a few years back with some kind of Buddy, and that thing kept blowing out. We didn't get five minutes of heat out of it over the whole week.

Greg Ide
    (Don't forget the hand warmers.)

Your post reminds me of a SNL skit they did once for Bad Idea Jeans.

Dress accordingly....get the good stuff, and use handwarmers if you have to. But I think that the portable heater is a dasaster waiting to happen. A plywood base too....near a big, floating container of gas.? Really dude?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtdXzBSVaU

It seems to me that there was a very funny thread on here last fall about the danger of portable heaters on-board.....including a good one by our own Jim Saric.
    Last edited by JollyRoger; 10-15-2012 at 08:51 PM.

I have a small 2 1/2 lb tank made a holder that fits in the seat holder with a pin
    no way it can tip over. The mr heater head works great..

Wally

Jolly,

Love the John Candy video. Gellespie barbeques Johnsonvilles on his boat, so I think I can safely handle a small portable heater. Actually, I got the idea from an old MH show, but I figured there were new heaters out these days. Keyes Outdoors had a show with one on there boat, but it didn’t look as safe as the one I’m looking at. Plus, I always wanted to use my fire extinguisher that just sits mounted in my boat.

Lol....go get em bro....

I may see you out there...

If you have a Mr. Heater in the bow of your boat, the combination of things that would have to take place to make your gas tank catch fire and explode are about as remote as a fifty pound muskie jumping into your boat and surrendering.

I guess if you make the effort to boar a hole in floor of your boat and set it right next to the gas tank, or if you set it right next to your portable gas tank, that is one thing and you are destined to have trouble with many things in your life, but I think the original poster asks a pretty legitimate question here. How can he reasonably arrange some type of small portable heater on his boat with minimal risk to himself and the materials on his boat.

In fact, if I had the time, the money and the resources, I would make a youtube video about "what it would actually take to make your boat explode with a mr. heater"

I think the biggest thing is having a firm base (sounds like the cupholder types have worked well) or fabricate something yourself that positions the heater as a nice hand warmer with no risk to other parts of the boat.

*I just spend the whole weekend on a small aluminum boat freezing my ass off and a MR. Heater in the front of the boat was a savior for keeping our hands warm. So to answer the original question, I think any of the MR. Heater products would be good...we used the Mr Heater buddy Light this weekend...small, portable and warms the hands nicely.
    Last edited by absentx; 10-28-2012 at 10:18 PM.

I had a portable heater catch fire in the boat about 10 years ago. Tilted it over trying to bring it closer to stay warm. We were trolling with multiple lines and suddenly flames started shooting out of the heater. My first reaction was to heave it out of the boat. It floated for about 15 minutes like a battleship on fire before it sunk. I can only imagine what the lake homeowners thought watching that circus!

Now, I remember reading this before. That is a story that is hard to forget, yet I'm still looking to try a heater in my boat! That is why I was thinking of a platform to mount it on to prevent tipping. I think I will give it a try and use some of the tips mentioned. I hope I don't end up being a story in the news. I have heard that the Buddy heater will go out in the wind and with my lack of luck I'm always stuck in the wind. I just cancelled my St. Clair trip due to the hurricane.
    Last edited by 1morecast; 10-30-2012 at 09:49 PM.