Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There goes my trailer tire!

There goes my trailer tire!

That

RE: There goes my trailer tire!

Nice to hear a story like that. Last year 40 miles south of Eau Claire on my way to Canada I had a trailer tire blow out. Someone was kind enough to stop and and helped me change it w/ their hydraulic jack and a battery powered impact gun. Thanks to him I was on my way in no time.

Glad to hear no one was hurt in your experience, that could have been a real bad deal. Always good to hear when people take the time to help others out. I now also stop when I see someone on the side of the road broken down.

Ditto on being on both ends of a breakdown. I believe as Americans it's our duty and moral obligation to help peeps in need. That Karma has come my way and I've passed it on also. Gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling and the look on peeps faces when you refuse their generous offer to pay you and you politely refuse is pricless. These acts restores jaded peeps belief in mankind and will continue us being our brother's keeper.

Great story (other than the part about losing the wheel). Pretty cool when people are willing to help out.

Sounds like Ryan is a great guy, and he makes some pretty cool stuff! Hopefully his generousity will pay off for him (maybe this thread will help).

curleytail

Nice guys. btw what caused the wheel to leave the trailer?

For lot's and lot's of years I was a die-hard Harley guy. One of the first things you notice after getting one is that you can not even pull over to make a phone call without every single biker (and I mean all of them) asking if you are OK or need help. There are tons of guys in cars too that own bikes and they all stop as well. One particularly messy day out in S.Dakota when my whole tranny went to pieces, brought a guy who spent a good 2 1/2 hours helping me out of a jam and who also would not take a penny. I mention this because I sense in the angling community (musky guys for sure) a very similar strain of comradery that should result in a similar practice. You don't have join anything, just make believe you are a member and determine to not pass a broke-down angler without offering to help. Oh, except for the guys who I towed with their whole family and their pontoon across half the Three Lakes chain and who spent the whole time telling me how the muskies kill all the walleyes in their lake and that the skis should be eradicated--don't help those a-holes.

Most years and sometimes twice a year we take a trip up to the woods somewhere either Wis.,Mn., or Canada and its a long haul from Colorado.One year crossing Nebraska our barrings failed and took a couple of days to get repaired by the time we got up to Canada we only had four days of fishing.Before going up to Wisconsin this fall we will repack our barrings and make sure the trailer and boat is in tip top shape.(We were lucky we stop to change drivers and we always cheeek everything out on the boat and trailer we touched to hub adn it was real hot then apoun further inspection we lost our barings.)A nother mile or two things would have seized up and we could have flipped our rig.

I learned my lesson as well a long time ago. Bearing buddies don't do squat except pressurize the hub to keep water from coming in when you back in the lake with hot hubs, and that is only if you grease it at the landing just before you back in. They do nothing as far as getting grease to the back inner bearing. I take apart and repack now before going to Canada every year. You don't wait all year for your trip to have that happen. Its a messy dirty job but not really hard at all.

My plan is to repack every year now, as well. Also, that

Like clock work everytime we change drivers, stop for gas, or to eat.
    Cheek hitch and chains,boat covor on tight?, feel the hubs for excessive heat and kick the tires!(also make sure the bolts are tight on the side bumpers of your trailer) one time we got up north and one was missing.Have your tools and flash light and spare tires in a assesable spot.Ya we have two spare tires for our trailer.