Thread: Just booked a trip to Vermillion!

Just booked a trip to Vermillion!

I am pumped. Going in Mid October. Never musky fished in fall before, always to busy bow hunting. Going to throw 13' Grandmas, Pounders, and 10 weighted Suicks until my arms fall off.
    Any advice from the pros would be appreciated.

If the water temp is around 50, look for spawning whitefish. Look for nets near shallow rocky areas and fish near them. The whitefish will stage just off the breakline and then move shallow at dark. The muskies will probably be shallow already, waiting for them.

Don't overlook gliders (I've done well there with Reef Hawgs), the 12-inch Suick (which is a whole different animal than the 10 and can reach much greater depths), or even twin-tens. And, you don't need to "match the hatch" -- bright colors sometimes are better than white/silver stuff because they stand out.

Another thing about Vermilion -- don't get disappointed if you get nothing but follows for several days. In my experience since the lake became popular, you might get nothing but follows for three or four days, and then you have one good day. However, the whole time it remains a serious trophy lake, and a big one could come on any cast.

Good luck and be sure to post a picture if you get one.
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

Leaving next Tuesday.
    Anybody been up there in the last little while with a water temp reports?
    I am hoping it already turned over.

We're leaving for there tomorrow after work. My understanding is the water temps are right around 50 now and dropping.

Never been up there in the Fall...have fun and good luck!

Drove through that area last weekend on my way to International Falls. Snow on ground and last weekend in Ranier in was in the low twenties over night, so I am guessing the temps will be cool.

On Sab. LOW right now water temp 45ish

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    On Sab. LOW right now water temp 45ish

How are you being treated by The Woods? Run into any mutual (but old) friends?
    Steve Heiting

www.steveheiting.com

4 Fish ended up being caught between 5 guys, biggest being just under 47". Tough fishing, water actually warmed up while we were there, was hoping for a cold snap to bring the ciscoes up but no such luck.

that place is tough 99% of the time..has some nice sized fish in it but for the life of me can't understand why it so popular. I laugh when I hear people call it "LOTW south"